Can Collector be used at all if you only have access to AGOL and ArcMap 9.3.1?

03-04-2014 03:22 PM
PhilJensen
New Contributor II
At work, I have access to Collector (iOS), Operations Dashboard, an AGOL organizational account and ArcMap 9.3.1.  I would like to use Collector during facility inspections to document the condition of things like signs or fences or to create inventories of similar company assets.  However, after combing through numerous tutorials and forum pages, I still can't figure out how to use the GIS tools/software that I have access to to construct a usable system.  Is it even possible since my company's ArcMap version is 9.3.1?

Please forgive my inexperience.  The organization I work for does very little with GIS, and I am not a GIS technician.  I have a degree in Geography and an interest in GIS, so I volunteered to be the "GIS guy".  Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BarryBiediger
New Contributor III
One thing you can try is a hosted feature service: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/publish-features.htm   With this you can upload shapefiles into an ArcGIS Online feature service that can be edited via Collector.  It's not optimal, but it does work.
0 Kudos
PhilJensen
New Contributor II
Thanks, Barry.  I don't think that I've looked at that help page before.  I'll give it a try and see if I can make something work.  I think I'll also keep pushing to upgrade our software to 10.2 as well.  That would probably make things MUCH easier...
0 Kudos