Blog discussion: Take the same layer offline twice in Collector using feature layer views

06-25-2018 01:18 PM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I've posted a new blog about how you can Take the same layer offline twice in Collector using feature layer views. You might have a single layer of data that you need to add to a map multiple times (perhaps so that visibility can be toggled separately). In the blog, I show a way to take the same data offline multiple times in a single map, and have filters honored on each layer. Give the blog a read, then come here to discuss it.

Esri Education Team
21 Replies
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

This seems like a good start, but what is still needed is to be able to apply this to generating an offline replica from enterprise data (not hosted).  Would love to see the Feature Layer Views add the functionality as this is sorely lacking today

-Joe

Thanks,
-Joe
BerneJackson
New Contributor III

I may be mistaken, but this is not possible at this time in Enterprise Portal 10.6, and my own testing confirms it.  See the bottom of this link:  Create hosted feature layer views—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise .

"Synchronization is not supported on hosted feature layer views at this time."

0 Kudos
BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

I have many users that access the layers that I own, or view layers that I own, and many of them have a need to create copied and filtered versions of my content within the same web map.  Am I correct in thinking that they are not able to do this AND take those maps offline with Collector, unless they have me create a new view layer for them each time they need a new filtered layer (since I am the owner and the only one able to create view layers from these layers)?

0 Kudos
BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

This sounds more like a bug than a "limitation."  Don't get me wrong, I love feature layer views and use them a ton, but I don’t see them as a reasonable solution when a user just wants to add a second, filtered, version of a layer to a map quickly and efficiently, and may not need that layer in any other maps.  Especially since they would be relying on the owner of the layer to create and maintain these view layers for them.  This would become a huge time sync for the GIS Professionals of an organization with many users at the Creator license level accessing other users' data.

erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kylie,

I've used views in Collector maps successfully many times, but I am mystified by a situation in Collector right now. I have a hosted feature layer (points ~14,500 of them) from which I have created a view layer; I filtered the view layer through the layer properties (item details > visualization page). I've added this view to my web map and configured further. When I open the map in Collector, the layer is not visible and does not show up in the layer list. Do you have any suggestions as to what is happening here?

Thanks!

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry for the delay Erica! I haven't seen that - Colin Lawrence‌ have you?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Erica,

There are some known issues with View layers with View Definitions set on them to exclude fields. Is a View Definition what you used in the Visualization page? The difference in my experience is that the layer still appears in the layer list but does not render in the map. Can you let me know what specific type of filtering you used and on which fields?

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Colin,

I do not exclude any fields from my View via the "View Definitions" option, however I have set a filter on the View layer through the Visualization page (through the filter icon, not the "View Definitions"). As a test, I removed the filter on the View's Visualization page, went into View Definitions > Define features, and applied the filter there. This didn't change anything, the layer is still not visible in Collector although it works fine in the web map online. I also did another test of just removing the filter from the View Visualizations page entirely and then applied it directly in the web map; this had the same result.

My filter is set on a date field and I used - Date_Entered is after 4/1/2018.

Also, you are correct that the layer shows in the list but doesn't render.

Thanks,

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Erica, 

I would be happy to take a look if your data is in AGOL and you are willing to share. The easiest way to do so is to create a group, share the map and layers with the group, and invite the user Collector4ArcGIS to the group.

I am assuming the layer renders fine with no filter applied to the layer/map? Also, which platform and version of Collector are you using?

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos