Blank basemap for Arc Collector to allow more zoom

05-12-2016 09:31 PM
JoeCeradini
New Contributor II

I am trying to follow a workflow outlined in a previous thread - Collector with no basemap  - specifically the post by Nicolas G on 4/2/2015. My goal is to create a blank basemap that will allow me to zoom to a higher level within Arc Collector but that is not a huge file in terms of size. I have been loading base imagery as tile packs at level 15 in ArcMap but that limits how far I can zoom in on my point and polygon features within Collector.

I believe it will be clearest if I just quote the previous post/workflow:

1. Publish a map service with a blank basemap. In the caching option, define the scales needed (until 1:20) if good zoom required, and specify "build cache manually after  the service is published".

2. In the DataManagement toolbox/Tile Cache/Export Tile cache, specify the cache directory of the "cached" service (which is empty but contains some config files including the projection).

3. Copy the very light .tpk on your mobile platform.

4. Finally, download  features with the tpk as basemap and you will be able to zoom in until the max zoom you defined in the map

Questions:

In general, I'm hoping to get some more detail for each of these steps because I have not been able to figure them out as is. This is likely just due to inexperience on my part.....but I'm learning.

How do I publish a blank map in Arc? File > Share as > Service is only available if I have a feature in the map. So, I added a shapefile to the map but did not create any features.

Where do I publish the map so it can be subsequently used in Arc's Export Tile Cache tool? I've published maps to Arc Online but cannot figure how to find those maps from within the tool, which allows you to select a file via a windows file browsers.

Are there any specific settings within the Export Tile Cache tool that I should be aware of to make this work?

Any details would be most appreciated. Being able to zoom freely on my points and polygons within Collector will make a huge difference in field data collection.

I understand that the new beta version of Collector allows this without any workarounds, but I'd rather not send my field crews out for weeks at a time with a beta version which will be hard for me to troubleshoot remotely.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe-

I'd suggest giving the Collector 10.4 Beta a try and seeing if it meets your needs.  While I believe it should resolve the challenges here, we'd appreciate your feedback during the Beta.  You can join here to give it a spin: https://earlyadopter.esri.com

-Doug

0 Kudos
JoeCeradini
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, Doug.

I am using an android tablet (NVIDIA Shield K1) - is the 10.4 beta available for android (the beta site says, "Android will follow very soon")?

I am sending 3 crews into the field into a fairly remote area, so I'm somewhat concerned about committing to beta, since I will not be with the crews to help troubleshoot. Is it fairly stable?

Thanks - Joe

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe-

The Collector 10.4 Beta release is not yet available on Android, though we expect it soon.

I'd strongly advise against using any beta release for production work, but it is a good opportunity to give it a try and see if there are issues in terms of your workflow before the final release.

-Doug

0 Kudos
JoeCeradini
New Contributor II

Ok, thanks Doug. So, sounds like the next version of Collector will make this problem obsolete. Unfortunately (for me), I am hoping to solve this problem in the very short-term in order to have things working smoothly for (rapidly) approaching field work. I understand my timeline is not your problem, but do you have any advice on solving my original problem/question in the short-term, considering the beta version is not yet available for android and not wise to use for full-time data collection?

- Joe

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Joe,

Sorry for the delay.

Indeed, you are right : you need an empty feature class to be able to share it as a service.

Also, you need to publish the service to an ArcGIS Server so as to be able to use the Export Tile cache tool.

Hope it can help and that you have one !

Regards,

Nicolas

0 Kudos