Batch editing of attribute table in Collector Classic?

Jump to solution
06-15-2019 04:54 PM
DanGruber
New Contributor III

I've changed a number of domain values in fields within a map layer. My map already has 1000+ data points pre-change. I'd like to "translate" the recorded domain values for the existing points to the new domain values. The translation is straightforward and unambiguous. 

I know how to do this in ArcMap using the Field Calculator in an edit session, which would allow me to change a bunch of values simultaneously. I also see that I can edit values in the attribute table for the layer in Collector but apparently only one at a time. This would be extremely time-consuming. Is there any way to "batch edit" attribute values in Collector so that I could change, for example, all occurrences of a certain old domain value to the related new value?

If the only way to make batch changes is in ArcMap, how can I get the changed values into the attribute table of Collector? Do I have to republish the map?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

PS. I'm a self-taught volunteer doing this for a small non-profit.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Dan,

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro? You can load the Feature Layer from AGOL and edit just as you would normally a local file. See also, Add a feature service for editing for additional info.

If you are using ArcGIS Desktop, you can load the Feature Layer in but to edit you have to go through a few more steps.

1. Load the Feature Layer from AGOL
  2. Right Click on the Feature Layer and select Edit Features > Create Local Copy for Editing
  3. Start Editing and make changes using Attribute Table, Field Calculator, etc. as normal
  4. Save Edits and Stop Editing
  5. Right Click on the Feature Layer and select Edit Features > Synchronize Local Edits with Server, the changes will now be on AGOL.

See also Making a local copy of a feature service for editing and Synchronizing local edits with the server for additional information.

As with any data edits, make a copy of the data on AGOL before you attempt to make the changes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Dan,

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro? You can load the Feature Layer from AGOL and edit just as you would normally a local file. See also, Add a feature service for editing for additional info.

If you are using ArcGIS Desktop, you can load the Feature Layer in but to edit you have to go through a few more steps.

1. Load the Feature Layer from AGOL
  2. Right Click on the Feature Layer and select Edit Features > Create Local Copy for Editing
  3. Start Editing and make changes using Attribute Table, Field Calculator, etc. as normal
  4. Save Edits and Stop Editing
  5. Right Click on the Feature Layer and select Edit Features > Synchronize Local Edits with Server, the changes will now be on AGOL.

See also Making a local copy of a feature service for editing and Synchronizing local edits with the server for additional information.

As with any data edits, make a copy of the data on AGOL before you attempt to make the changes.

DanGruber
New Contributor III

It all worked. Thanks for the guidance.

Dan

0 Kudos
DanGruber
New Contributor III

Thank you, Lance. I'm not very familiar with Pro (although I do have access to it) but I do understand your instructions for ArcMap. I'll give that a try today.

Dan

0 Kudos