Background layers fade to nearly invisible when adding new feature

Jump to solution
06-24-2019 06:13 PM
AaronWorthley1
Occasional Contributor II

When editing in Collector, say creating a new line feature, any background feature layers in the map fade to nearly invisible. This makes it really hard to see what you're doing or to reference existing data in new feature creation. Is there any way to control this behavior, or a workaround so the background layers don't disappear?  I don't know if it would be any better, but generating image tile layers for all background data is not a feasible solution- querying background data via popups is necessary.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aaron -- This is something the team is aware of and evaluating. Could you post some screen captures so that we can see your data both before starting to edit and while editing?

Thanks!

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aaron -- This is something the team is aware of and evaluating. Could you post some screen captures so that we can see your data both before starting to edit and while editing?

Thanks!

Esri Education Team
AaronWorthley1

Sure, here are a couple of screenshots. One normal view, the second while in the process of drawing a line. In this case I'm manually drawing, but the same happens when streaming. Notice everything except the basemap fades out and is very hard to see, especially out in the sunlight. This behavior makes the map all but unusable while editing, I really hope this will be addressed soon as it's a significant issue for fieldworkers.

Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Perfect, thanks! I'll add these to our examples of where people are having trouble seeing reference data while editing.

As to what you can do now, unfortunately, your options are to change the symbology in your map, or wait until this is changed in the app as there is no setting for this. I don't have a timeframe for an update or change in the app.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

What symbology could I use that would not be subject to this issue? Everything seems to fade to nearly invisible except the basemap.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

I'd try something with more contrast to your basemap. I think often when people are reporting this, it is on the imagery basemap where it is harder to get contrasting (or consistently contrasting) symbology.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
AaronWorthley1

Tried with as contrasty a symbology set as I could come up with, and also with very low variablity basemap (light grey, dark grey, topographic, etc) to no avail. It is not better enough to make a functional difference out in the field.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for trying Aaron! The team is looking into this. 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
WilliamGreen1
New Contributor II

Please add me to the list to notify when this is resolved. Note that there is another thread that you may want to reference for others w/ the same issue (it is a suggestion thread):

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16051-collector-layers-transparent-when-editing

If you have an idea on what release this issue will be fixed in, please update us - and thank you!

0 Kudos
HamishMills
Occasional Contributor

We desperately need this change aswell KDonia-esristaff ! Thanks! Take this as my vote to change it asap! 

0 Kudos