Authentication problem in Collector when accessing secured services

12-18-2017 12:57 PM
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

I am having an issue with the latest release of Collector for iOS (17.0.3) where users are no longer being prompted to authenticate when accessing secured services (these are hosted on our own ArcGIS Server). We have tried several things to log off the previous user, including switching to a different ArcGIS Online account, restarting the app, even uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. Nothing works! Somehow the user credentials are saved. I have contacted ESRI and they have been able to replicate the issue on their end. A bug has been created and my case has been closed for now. I am trying to come up with a workaround as I have several field users who share an iPad and need them to  sign in with their own credentials before conducting an inspection. The only way I could think of to force a user out was to temporary remove their access to the service by modifying their permissions in the Identity Store under ArcGIS Manager.  I'm wondering if anybody has a better way to accomplish this? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

Yes I can.

I´m updating the interior spaces on my CAMPUS (In Lisbon Portugal) using the web browser because the Collector is not working with our Portal .

So my solution, I made one webapp running by browser on my android device, but it´s slow than Collector.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You'll want to log a case with your distributor so we can troubleshoot this further

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You will also want to look over your certificate - it says your certificate chain is incomplete:

SSL Server Test: smart.campus.ciencias.ulisboa.pt (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs) 

Collector has become more secure since the update to 17.0.3, so I would resolve any certificate issues before moving forward

Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

My solution it was:

I found one old apk of Collector and worked. The app ask me if I want to go on "unsecure enviroment" I said yes and works. So the new app doesn´t show this option.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Collector 17.0.3 and later became more secured so any sites that were unsecure are now blocked unless you install the root certificate from the device or address the parts of the certificate that make it unsecure to Collector. One thing to note, Esri Technical Support will only support the current release of Collector.

A good way to check your certificate is to go to ssllabs.com

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs) 

0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thank you. I have tried that with no luck. Not sure what else to try, I hope ESRI can come up with a fix soon! Also, I wish there was a way to reinstall an older version of the app.   

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So uninstalling and reinstalling the application does not prompt again for credentials (for server services) after signing in to ArcGIS Online? We can only provide the version of Collector that is available on the App Store. 

What version of iOS are you on?

0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

Dan, no it does not. I have just tested it again. Once I reinstall the app, I am asked to sign in with an AGOL account but will not be prompted for credentials to the secured services. If I try to make a data edit so that I can see what credentials are stored, it's the last user.  The version I just installed and tested is 17.0.4. I started getting this error at 17.0.3    

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What kind of users are you using in ArcGIS Server Manager (go to Site->Security). Also, do you have your server listed as a trusted server in ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos