ArcGIS On-line tracking editor bug

07-03-2020 09:20 PM
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

I have found a bug in ArcGIS On-line.

In settings on the feature layer, if you select ‘Keep track of who created and last updated features’ – then a newly created polygon will initially, correctly, give the user name of the person/use account who did the mapping.

But as soon as I view the polygon (logged in with my publisher account) – it says that I created the polygon, even if I have not edited it or updated it.

So all the polygons end up saying that the publisher account created them.

I have just un-ticked that option for now.  But it would be good to have it working again.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

You are correct there the Preserve Editing tracking currently does not work in my testing publishing from pro and viewing in AGO. All of the edit/create dates are changed to the date/user who published the data. This is currently a critical bug.

Additionally ArcGIS Pro and AGO are inconsistent in their default fields for editing tracking

PRO (enable editing tracking) 

• created_user (255 length)
  • created_date
  • last_edit_user (255 length)
  • last_edit_date

AGO (track the last edited)

• CreationDate
  • Creator (128 length)
  • EditDate
  • Editor (128 length)

To add salt to the wound, it also flips the field order around for those with OCD. (Date first, then user in AGO, user then date in arcpro)

If you haven't already i would recommend opening a case with ESRI to report the bug. I'm doing so now.

SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

Yes I will ask our GIS officer to report the bug asap.  I have found esri very slow to deal with bugs like this unless you can get the message directly to an esri developer - someone like Derek Law‌ or Colin Lawrence‌ - so I have tagged them into this message.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Steve,

The appropriate route is usually going to be going through Support simply for the reason that someone is accountable for looking into your issue. While I and others try our best to monitor Geonet and other outlets, things do tend to slip through the cracks sometimes. 

I do work on our Field apps team but am knowledgeable in other areas and could see if I have some input. The layer you reference that you are turning on tracking for, is this a new layer created in AGOL or something recently published from Desktop? If coming from desktop, did it have editor tracking or the editor tracking fields already added before publishing? Also, where are you viewing this information that shows incorrectly - in a popup in the map, the attribute table, or the item details (data tab) for the Feature Layer? These are all good places to double check. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

Hi Colin

Yes our GIS officer has now raised with Support.

With respect to your questions:

• layer published to ArcGIS on-line from desktop - ArcMap 10.6.1
  • in the publishing process the options edit, update and delete were ticked on - as per normal
  • then in the settings for the published ArcGIS on-line feature layer I ticked on ‘keep track of who created and last updated features’
  • then in ArcGIS on-line if you view the table for the feature layer it drops into edit mode (never use to do this) - and that is what leads to ArcGIS on-line changing the user name who created a polygon to the user viewing it only.

All for now

SteveT

ACT Parks & EPSDD

0 Kudos
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

ESRI support has associated my case with an already Existing BUG-000129250. It is in the current product plan according to ESRI to get fixed (I hope that means next Beta release of pro?).

As for the inconsistent FIELD naming convention will likely be logged as an ENHANCEMENT reuqest.

SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Eric Pescatore for the update.  Glad it is officially recognised as a bug.  Derek LawColin Lawrence‌ 

Our GIS officer is waiting to hear back about their bug report but I imagine the esri officer they are dealing with will know about the bug too by now.

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Did some quick research on the bug number and it actually falls under Online and not Pro, so it would be (hopefully) addressed in the next quarterly ArcGIS Online release (sept/oct typically).

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

Agreed the accountability insures that a Case, Bug or enhancement request is logged. Typically through geonet even though we have interaction with ESRI staff, its not 100% guarantee that an issue documented will make it into their list of bugs. It also another way for customers to ensure their voices are heard.

As for my other comment about the inconcistancy in Editing Tracking field names. This would also be something to bring to the attention of ESRI via a case as a requested feature enhancement. Though you could bring it up on the idea board, its very important to cross pollinate your ideas to ESRI. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning2
Occasional Contributor III

If you turn on editor tracking in Pro and then publish it will create and use created_user.  But if you publish from Pro then turn on Editor tracking in AGOL you get Creator.

Also a few years ago it used to be ETEditor (I forget the rest of the names).

I really wish the teams would coordinate and talk about this kind of stuff.  You would think there was a standards group at Esri that looks at this stuff before it goes out the door.  It would save so much time.  But we keep seeing that teams seem to not coordinate.

hope that helps.

0 Kudos