ArcGIS Collector Download Offline Map takes forever

11-26-2014 01:46 PM
AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor

Platform: iOS

Self Hosted (non-agol) service

My downloads are taking forever, or timing out. Granted I'm attempting to download a 400KM linear project-- but just the vector data. All of my rater data is already on my device. If I pick a smaller area, everything downloads, but that's slow as well. I notice that the percentage automatically jumps to around 20% then it just sits there.

IMG_0014.png

I'm pretty device savvy, so if there is a way to sideload this data, like the tpk workflow option, that would be AWESOME.

I've kicked this off and let it sit, I'll check back in after thanksgiving I guess 😉 I just don't trust wifi, or iis, or arcgis server to keep the connection alive. It would be nice to download and provision a replica to collector via a gp tool in ArcMap. Especially on for large projects.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor
I have successfully gone offline. That's not an issue if you read my post.
0 Kudos
AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor
Yes. I am familiar with the requirements for offline. If you read my first post, you'll gather that I actually can take data offline (smaller areas). 

Can you let me know what you see in the link you've referenced that I might be missing?
0 Kudos
AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor
For the third time ( I'm not trying to be rude) I already have basemaps on my device. I'm attempting to just get the vector data.
0 Kudos
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor

Alex,

Not sure what is causing the delay but let me explain the process so you can find where the time is being spent...

When you tap the Download button, Collector will request that a replica be created against your feature service. This is accomplished using the SyncTools GP Service that is running on your ArcGIS Server instance. A job is submitted and Collector periodically checks back on the status of the job until it is complete, the replica is finished and it can then grab it and download it to your device.

Within the Server Manager you can watch this take place. You will see the instance get created and can see how many instances are being used and are allocated for the service. You can find documentation on tuning services here.

If you have difficulty isolating the time spent, turn debugging on to see in fine grained detail what happens during the lifespan of the job. You can find details about server logging here if you haven't done it before.

Make sure to let us know how it goes and I hope this helps you diagnose things.

Jeff

AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jeff Shaner

I set to debug level on my server log and I watched everything. I isolated my log view to REST and also the Map Service source. Everything looks fine on the server logs. I also checked to see if the .geodatabase file that was created by the sync request (residing in the service output folder ) was complete. And it was complete. It's just not transfering the .geodatabase file over to the mobile client. Something gets hung up and then it times out. The service is working just fine for smaller aois. I have a feeling this is web server related, but I have no idea where it's coming from.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

Arrhhh ,,, makes more sense ... I was missing (skipped?) a word.

Not sure.

You could try the reverse of:

Manual Sync with Database using SQLite database from ArcGIS Collector

0 Kudos