ArcGIS Collector auto-populate long/lat, length, acres

01-23-2015 11:43 AM
BobWheeler
Occasional Contributor

Trying to figure out how to configure features so that Collector will auto-populate columns such as Longitude/Latitude (points) and Acres for polygons.  I need end users to be able to pull this information back up without my having to post-populate these columns.

Tags (1)
17 Replies
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Bob, this doesn't solve your problem but I had a similar issue which might shed light on your question. I have a workflow where I would like the shape area to be autopopulated in either Collector or ArcGIS Online. I posted a question to the ArcGIS Online threads and received a response that it was not possible without custom development, the off the shelf tools do not currently allow for it. It would be great if it is possible and I will pay attention to this thread in case someone has another suggestion. Good luck!

BobWheeler
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ben - it appears as you stated - this cannot be accomplished out of the box but is on esri's radar.  doesn't sound like it is in the 10.3 release of collector though so again back to the waiting game.  Will have to see if posted out on esri ideas site and promote or add.

AliciaRitzenthaler
New Contributor III

It's been a couple of years now since this was first posted. Has anyone found a way to do this yet? I am also very interested in auto-populating lat/long fields when I drop a point in Collector. Alternatively, can anyone suggest resources for where to start if I were to do this with some custom development? Ultimately I want to populate the lat/long in Collector so that I can pass these attributes to Survey123.

0 Kudos
JacobTully1
New Contributor III

This will work if you're using an external gps receiver like a trimble R1, but I still haven't found a way to auto-populate a lat/long field using collector automatically using only a cellphone GPS on android or iOS: GitHub - Esri/collector-tools: A set of python scripts and geoprocessing tools to automate common ta... 

0 Kudos
BobWheeler
Occasional Contributor

here is something we implemented - created

Attribute Field                       Alias Field Name        Field Type

ESRIGNSS_LATITUDE       Latitude                     Double

ESRIGNSS_LONGITUDE    Longitude                  Double

These will auto-populate with the Latitude/Longitude when using Collector.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This worked like a charm! Love this! 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am wondering though, how does this work? It works awesome and extremely happy with the results but I don't understand how it automatically calculates. Clearly, some background work being done. But how? I would appreciate some clarification  

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Siona -- Collector automatically records some metadata for GPS, and those are among the ones that are recorded. You can learn more about this here: Prepare for high-accuracy data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Be aware that lat/long will only be captured if you use GPS to collect the location of your feature. If you drop a pin, they'll be left blank. 

Esri Education Team
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Some time has past since this original post and the solution by Bob Wheeler worked great! But now I am trying to use the same workflow to auto populate Lat & Long in Collector for ArcGIS instead of, what is now called, Collector Classic. My issue is that I cant get the Lat & Long fields to auto populate anymore by using the solution from Bob Wheeler in the new version of Collector.  Bob Wheeler have you run into this same issue? Kylie Donia do you know if the new version of Collector has some other means of autopopulation?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos