Anyone else having a problem with downloading offline maps all of a sudden?

Jump to solution
06-26-2019 01:15 PM
EthanDuke
New Contributor III

All of a sudden we are unable to download basemaps for offline data collection. The error states a mismatch in data type. It is occurring across all projects we conduct. Does anyone know what is happening? We are using "Classic" on our iPads.

31 Replies
EthanDuke
New Contributor III

Hey there,

Sadly, no. I've read up on related issues and tried a couple things. Since I heard that there where issues with field names in copied layers (which I don't have) and domain values being duplicated, I tried to republish my feature service without fields sharing domains and no luck. I also republished a test of my existing service on a new map just as I had done before with no luck. It's obviously an ESRI issue and a very frustrating one at that.

The field crews that have already downloaded basemaps for areas well before this issue are having no problems.

I'm pretty surprised by the lack of response on this thread.

Ethan

UtilityAdmin
New Contributor II

Hello Sir,

I appreciate your response. I thought I was the only one having these issues.

So I tried the same thing as you.

I have published some datasets for my field crew and they have been working(downloading/synching) without issues.

I had to do some changes to the datasets, I published a new one and it's been crazy. Everything has halted, no new offline maps. I was worried. My boss thinks it's me but I know it's not.

So this is what I did

I published an empty data set, same schema.

I still could not download the maps on Collector for ArcGIS(android).

But I could use the maps without downloading it.

So ESRI needs to check this out. Maybe there may be more of us.

EthanDuke
New Contributor III

I'm using IOS and have the same issues. Even when I used ArcMap to  published a feature service with a single geodatabase with a single layer for the feature service. I created a map with only that schema and it still failed to appear in the map downloaded for offline in the new version of collector and it won't even download the basemap in classic. FYI... filed a case  #02354261

DanJoyce1
New Contributor II

I think the wheels have fallen off Collector (both versions)...I've spent a day and a half troubleshooting issues.  I can't create offline areas in the new version (editable layer fails to download) and Classic fails to download the basemap.  Very frustrated!

MilesThompson
New Contributor III

Same issue here....tried it with Collector "classic" (which I use on our older version iPad) and a new iPad with both the new and old collector versions....used to work just fine with a map used for updating trees and marking areas that need attention for employees....now none of it works.

On top of that, I have a meeting tomorrow with the big boss to go over all this offline data collection stuff and how we are implementing it...and trying to justify the just received maintenance coontract with ESRI...right now, it's not going to go well.

EthanDuke
New Contributor III

Just got off the line with tech support. We went through a couple iterations of changing basemaps and adjusting symbol sizes and we had the same issues with both versions of collector. I sent in a map package so they can replicate the error. This is obviously something that changed within AGOL/Collector and I hope it run up the chain a little further.

In regards to your circumstance, Miles, I feel your pain. I was wondering if you could sideload a basemap in classic for demo purposes. Does anyone on your team have offline maps loaded with your project? I couple of our crew members have them from previous downloads (before this issue) and things are at least synching for them.

I'll be sure to update here, if a solution is found.

0 Kudos
MilesThompson
New Contributor III

Hope they find the issue quickly. I have aerial packages sideloaded onto both iPads. The AGOL maps I'm trying to download are just one editable point layer with some tables and a couple polygon layers to reference planting beds, turf areas, and pathways that cannot be discerned in the aerial basemap package. Unfortunately, the layers were all updated last week and re-populated to AGOL...no old map versions exist. 

I was getting an error for wrong coordinate system yesterday (for the tile package I has used just fine for over a year now), so I remade a smaller tile package with the AGOL option using the ArcMap tool, and used that during the map download process...now I get and error "data type mismatch". I can load the map in online mode, but cannot download anything.

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies for the delayed response to you and Ethan Duke.  We've been investigating this behavior for the last few days, and have identified the root cause of the problem that was exposed as part of the ArcGIS Online release last week. The issue is specific to feature services with subtypes and one or more date fields (this includes editor tracking fields) when attempting to work offline.  This impacts all released versions of Collector, though the error messages may differ slightly.

Currently we are working to address this in an update to ArcGIS Online.  We will post when we have more information available.

MilesThompson
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update Doug. Looking forward to resolving this.

EthanDuke
New Contributor III

Thank you, Doug. We have crews chomping at the bit to start using Collector again.

0 Kudos