AGOL maps not showing in Collector App

10-11-2013 01:29 PM
KenMcDonald
New Contributor II
Okay, so I have spent the last few days trying to figure out why the Collector App, will not load any of the maps that are stored in
AGOL. I have confirmed that all the files are created correctly as per every piece of documentation posted on the entire internet.

Therefore I have come the conclusion that the App is buggy in some form. YES, I'm using a Point only, editable feature service and
they all worked a few months back when I first tested the Collector App.

There are a few posts on this forum that refer to my conclusion because they have resorted to either re installing the App,
changing account passwords and/or changing ownership to the feature service.

I also administer another AGOL account in which they are using the Collector App without a problem. Nothing has been added, changed or manipulated for at least 5 months. I created the editable point feature services the same way I do currently. In other words, I have not done anything to this particular account, and the Collector App works fine.

So...I now ask, is it possible that someone can give me a step by step fix for the real issue or even a conformation of the issue and
a fix is in the works?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ken McDonald
Tags (2)
30 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Make sure your maps have an editable feature service. This feature service can be hosted in ArcGIS Online or coming from an ArcGIS Server. Then you can log back into the app or refresh the map gallery in the app.

Russ
0 Kudos
NatashaDakouri-Hild
New Contributor III

Yes, this worked me for in the end. HOWEVER, in order to even see the option to post a shp zip as hosted service on AGOL one must have been granted publisher or admin status by an organization. I struggled with crazy-making app behavior for a whole day before I realized this (this will also unlock all sorts of analytical functionality on the map itself; plus you can make a map downloadable). Once turned into an admin, I could see this option. Here is the right workflow to do this:

1. I can't emphasize enough you need to become a publisher or admin in the organization. User will not do. See:

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

2. Create a new web map in My Content. Don't add anything to this yet.

3. Post the zipfile(s) containing the shapefile files as admin in My Content.

4. In My Content, edit each service file so that they are editable.

5. Go to the web map and add the now editable layers. Important note: I found out Collector will not fetch a web map if only some of the layers are editable -even if one isn't, the map won't show. This is why ALL layer components added must be editable. This is crucial but nowhere disclosed.

6. Go back to My Content, select the web map and the layers and share them with a group, if appropriate. You need to do this in My Content because only there (as opposed to individual layer or map sharing) is there the option to specify access and edit capabilities for participants (as opposed to just access). Note: sharing with a group implies you have already created that group and invited members prior.

Note the following doesn't apply to AGOL.

Publishing feature services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

What's weird though, for 10 days before I was forced to troubleshoot this (my maps stopped showing in Collector suddenly), I had been able to post shapefiles normally (i.e. not as hosted services but as simple uploads) with user privileges and these showed in Collector fine.

FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
Make sure your maps have an editable feature service. This feature service can be hosted in ArcGIS Online or coming from an ArcGIS Server. Then you can log back into the app or refresh the map gallery in the app.

Russ

So collector app only loads maps with editable layer?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Yup it only shows maps with editable feature services which could be used for data collection or editing.
0 Kudos
AliciaSoto
Occasional Contributor

So how could you create an "offline" map if you don't need any editable features in it?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You need the editable features to make the map visible to Collector. An office map must consist of layers that have the capability to sync or export tiles.

0 Kudos
CassidyKillian
Occasional Contributor II
Russ,
I am having similar problems as well.  I am trying to load an editable feature service from arcgis server shared with my organization online.  I get the following error when the collector map opens:  "Layer Not Loaded Unable to load layer "Layer Name" from "server name".  A server with the specified hostname could not be found."

It is my understanding that this is because the service is coming from a secure server.  Can you point me to any documentation on the best way to expose this service so we can view it on mobile devices in the field?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You could use a VPN app like junos pulse on your device and vpn into your network and see if you can hit the services then. I would talk to your IT department to see if they have any recommended VPN apps for your devices that can help you access your network and allow the layers to load.

Russ
0 Kudos
FelipeAvila
New Contributor
I've been having similar problems.  Just to clarify, is there a difference between a feature service and a zipped shapefile that was uploaded. 
I zipped a shapefile, uploaded to my map, made it editable, saved the layer to my organization, shared the layer with the organization, saved the map and shared it.  I'm still not seeing the map in collector.  

A few posts back I saw something that mentioned creating a flag so collector knows to open the map.  Is there something I need to check off and if so can you point me to it.
Thanks for any help
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
The Collector app does not support editing with shapefiles that are added to the map and are only editable in AGOL. If you take that shapefile and add it through My Content > Add Item and publish it as a service and check that editing capabilities are enabled on that hosted service. Once you have that hosted service you can add it to a web map, save it and it will show up in the Collector.

Cheers
Russ