Adding internal GPS to collector receiver list

09-06-2017 12:30 PM
Christian__Smitty_Smith
New Contributor III

I am using a Getac T800 running Windows 10.  I have downloaded the collector app and downloaded the GPS direct driver.  The driver is configured to use COM port 2 at 9600 Baud.   I can see that the sensor is on and sending data.

When I open collector it will sometimes show my accuracy to 1m, and at other times it shows red as if I am getting no GPS signal.  So it looks like it accepts the GPS data from the sensor sometimes, but not all the time.  When I have the tablet connected to our network, it will jump from using the GPS to the windows location sensor.

Upon digging into the collector documentation, I decided to try to add the internal GPS as an additional receiver to try to fix this issue.  When I go to add a receiver, I am only given one option  - Prolific USB-To_Serial Comm Port (COM4). When I select that I can chose between COM3 or 4 (no choice for COM2) and a long list of BAUD rates.  I have tried going through each COM port and each of the Baud rates but every time I run the test, the test fails. 

From what I understand the Getac is using the Ublox 8 chip for the GPS sensor.

Is there anything I can do to correct this? Am I doing something wrong here?  Thanks for you help.

4 Replies
JRAdams
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a solution to this? Mine is acting in a similar manner, switching between red and green in location accuracy. Using Windows 10. Paired with external gps Carlson unit, running on a Carlson tablet. 

I've used Eltima as a virtual port and gps direct to output the NMEA. I am getting same receiver options as before, internal and My remote Bluetooth receiver. The back and forth is happening on internal. Can't Bluetooth directly because we need to connect to NTRIP for RTK--so all is working well up until collector. Any help greatly appreciated!! 

0 Kudos
Christian__Smitty_Smith
New Contributor III

Brita,

So the issue was resolved in two ways.  1) We purchased the license for GPS Direct.  While it seems like a simple and obvious fix, the issue I had was that the comapny is based outside of the US. Working for a state government agency, this raised a bunch of red flags with our accounting department.   Once passed that the 2nd fix was to make sure that GPS direct had the correct settings:  When setting up the driver make sure to have the following boxes checked:  1) Force high precision to avoid location jumps   2) 

The other thing I have found is if the the device has any internet connectivity, it will jump between the GPS and the Windows location provider (triangulated location).

JRAdams
New Contributor III

Did you find a solution to the device having internet connectivity? Mine must have it in order to send the RTK information to the external GPS. 

0 Kudos
Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Be sure to download the latest Getac Geolocation driver here http://en.getac.com/support/drivers.html

actual direct link here : http://en.getac.com/inc/filereader.aspx?fileid=108493&cateid=100199

Mobile windows applications make use of Microsoft's Sensor and Location Platform. You need the Getac driver to connect windows location sensor to the COM port used by the GPS receiver.

Collector/survey123 do not connect directly to the COM port used by the GPS.

0 Kudos