Adding attachments to Collector data

10-14-2015 02:55 AM
IeuanHarry1
New Contributor III

I want to create a simple Collector project where I can go out collect a point location and take a photo of that location then add it as an  attachment.

Im following the steps on this page: Work with attachments—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Ive set up the feature class with a 2 fields - 1) to add photo ID and 2) a field for some comments/notes. According to the tutorial I need to right click/Manage and Create attachments but this option is not available.

Any suggestions on how to enable this?

Im working with Windows 7 (64 bit) ArcGIS 10.2.2 with an online organizational Online account.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you do not see it on the feature class in the geodatabase you can also enable this on the hosted feature service in ArcGIS Online.

From the doc:

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Allow attachments

You can allow editors to attach images and other files to individual features in the feature layer. This is useful, as it allows you to share documentation or photos that are relevant to specific features. For example, a code compliance officer might attach a photo of the code violation for a specific address point, or a building inspector might include a PDF of a permit for a building feature.

The file you attach to a feature can be up to 10 MB in size. For a list of supported file types, see Edit features. Be aware that the size of the attachments adds to the size of the feature layer.

Follow these steps to allow people to attach files to features in your feature layer:

1. You must first enable editing on the hosted feature layer.
  2. While still signed in to your ArcGIS Online account, open the feature layer's details page by clicking the layer in My Content.
  3. Click the small arrow icon next to the layer for which you want to allow attachments and choose Enable attachments.

Now, when people edit the feature layer, they can attach files to individual features.

If you decide you no longer want files to be attached to your feature layer, you can click the small arrow icon next to the layer in the feature layer's details page and choose Disable attachments. This will drop all existing attachments and prevent people from adding any more attachments.

IeuanHarry1
New Contributor III

Thank Russell

Another related question i have is when creating the service I want to edit he Feature Access to allow the Create, Delete, Sync and Update options. Currently it will not let me check these options. Is this something else that can be done via My Content in ArcGIS Online?

Im curious as to why I cant edit these or Allow attachmnets at the Desktop stage of the process.

thanks

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Not sure about the desktop issue you are seeing, it should be present there under the list of options when you right click on the feature class in the geodatabase in the catalog.

Currently on hosted service that is not an option. You can set the service to be Add Only and as the owner/admin you can override that option by adding the service to a map with full editing controls. The full editing controls is only exposed in the AGOL map viewer where you can make edits will full Add/Update/Delete controls. This full editing option is not supported by Collector and will honor the feature service capability.

0 Kudos
IeuanHarry1
New Contributor III

Turns out i need to uncheck Tiled Mapping from the capabilities, then I can alter the feature access.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos