access to collector

Jump to solution
05-19-2020 01:09 PM
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I have an ArcGIS account through my organization, and am trying to figure out if I can use arcGIS collector. I have created a map in arcGIS online, and can see the map. I have also shared the map. I have downloaded Collector for arcGIS to a mobile device and have successfully logged in. However, I can't see the map that I created. The message says "No maps Maps will appear here when they're created or shared with you"

Is this because (a) Collector is not connecting to arcGIS online (b) I need an additional license (which is not clear anywhere in the documentation) or (c) something else?

Thanks for any information.

Wade

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

In Collector, there are some sample maps. Sign out, and then on the start screen pick "Try it?" You'll see a set of maps that you can use in the app.

With your map, how did you create the layer that you are able to edit in ArcGIS Online? My guess is that it was created in a way that doesn't create a feature layer.

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Wade, 

Under the settings of the map's item details page, do you see these options for enabling offline mode and "Use in Collector for ArcGIS"?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Hi Katherine,

I don’t see those options, but I may be looking in the wrong place. When I go to "MyMap", I can click on settings on the right and those options aren’t available. I can see headings like “General”,”Delete Protection”, and “Web map”.

Wade

0 Kudos
KaitlynPurcell
Esri Contributor

Hey Wade Wall

Have you seen this technical article? - Problem: Unable to view a web map in Collector for ArcGIS 

Best,

Kaitlyn

Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Wade - For a map to appear in Collector, it needs to have an editable layer as well as be owned by or shared with you (shared through a group). Since this is a map you made, I'm assuming you logged in to Collector as the same user, so I would look at if you have editable data in your map. 

These might help you:

Test your map > Troubleshoot > Map isn't available in Collector—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Requirements > Data requirements—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

For the licensing, since you can sign in to Collector you are licensed for it (otherwise you'd see a message when signing in). But here are the details:
Requirements > ArcGIS account requirements —Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Esri Education Team
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kylie,

I am able to login to Collector on a mobile device using the same account as I use for arcGIS online. I was wondering if there would be a message if I needed an additional license.

I am able to add and delete points from my map in arcgis online, so I assume the map is "editable".

Any other suggestions? Could there be organizational restrictions?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, if your account couldn't use Collector, you'd see a message about it and not be able to log in.

What type of editable data is it? Collector supports feature layers, related records, and ArcGIS Server feature services. If you created a layer of map notes, for example, that won't work in Collector. If you aren't sure what your data is, if you can share the map publicly and put a link here I can take a look.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kylie,

I can't share maps publicly. Is there a test map that you could share with me on arcgis online that I know is editable and see if I can import it into Collector?

thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

In Collector, there are some sample maps. Sign out, and then on the start screen pick "Try it?" You'll see a set of maps that you can use in the app.

With your map, how did you create the layer that you are able to edit in ArcGIS Online? My guess is that it was created in a way that doesn't create a feature layer.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kylie,

I had created a random points spatial file using arcgis Pro 2.2. I was able to add points to this file in arcgis online, but apparently that didn't count as editable for collector. I added a second text field to the shapefile and this solved the problem. Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos