Tool to validate webmaps for Collector

03-24-2017 09:30 AM
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to see a tool that validates a webmap for use in collector.  In theory it would check the webmap for resources that are not compatible with the Collector App and report back to the user the resource and reason it isn't compatible.  Ideally this could be used to validate webmaps for a variety of applications booth current and future.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
JosephMcGehan

We have tens of thousands of feature services in hosted services (Esri Data Stores) that are not sync enabled. Our users make web maps for use in Collector with these services (and others). The tool should work like the analyse base map tool, reporting at a layer level. i.e. your WMS layer from the government can't be synced.. It should also have the option to reconfigure internal services (sync enable).

WillyLynch2

Now with ArcGIS Pro v2.2 and above, we can perform a simple validation of download and sync of a web map using the ArcGIS Pro offline download tool.  This downloads and creates runtime geodatabases for each feature layer in the map and also downloads TPK files for basemaps and tile maps.  In essence, this is a validation tool for the exact same type of downloading done by Collector (new).   Refinement of this download process into a specific tool would be nice to have available.

JakeJacobs

This is a great idea. There's so much functionality that's being added to AGOL web maps and it's hard to keep track of what is supported in different versions of Collector.  For example, Arcade in labels but not some other areas.  I spend a lot of time figuring out why my map doesn't work in Collector when I think it should.  Especially offline functionality as mentioned above.