Rangefinder Offset data collection in Collector

05-14-2015 09:56 AM
DerrickReish
New Contributor II

Use the laser rangefinder measurement values (Azimuth/bearing, slope distance, horizontal distance, vertical distance and inclination) to calculate an offset point from a known reference point. Reference point can be set using GPS, established feature point, manually enter coordinates or map tap. Once could also capture/measure lines, curves and polygons as an offset function.
Also include a feature to capture height and pt to pt measurements from the laser rangefinder measurement routines.
This will increase your productivity and safety since you don't need to physically occupy the locations you have to record.

Tags (1)
15 Comments
CathyWilson2

We are using an iPad mini and have a TruPulse blue tooth laser rangefinder. Years ago, I used ArcPad on a Trimble GeoXH and the same laser rangefinder and was able to collect a point on a bush that was halfway up a large dune. To climb up there would have been a lot of work and would have disturbed the ground. We were surveying plant locations that are dune beetle habitat. Often a creek or other vegetation keeps us from getting to a location. Now, I just take a point near the item I want to collect with a note, then correct it once back in the office, but it isn't accurate. We recently purchased a Bad Elf GNSS Surveyor. It would be nice to be able to get this in the workflow.

Ewout_de_Graaff

Last week I ordered an Arrow receiver. It would be very useful if we could also use Haglof's devices in conjunction with EOS Tools Pro from the ArcGIS Collector. The Haglof laser distance meters are able to send deta to iOS, Android or Windows. A big advantage is that the Haglof's compass sensor is very accurate. Are there any plans for the Haglof laser to work with EOS Tools pro in the future?

Jean-YvesLauture

Hello Ewout, 

Please contact me directly at info@eos-gnss.com

Thank you, 

JY 

MaxRingler1

We are collection spatial/behavioural data on small frogs in tropical rainforest. GNSS in unable to provide the accuracy we need under dense forest canopy, therefore we rely on manually mapped forest plots and compass bearing and direction methods. ArcPAD - which we are still using on ruggest Win10 tablets/handhelds, provides this functionality, but so far I am not aware of any of ESRI's new iOS/Android apps that can do this.

MaxRingler1

2 year later...this is sad...why is such a basic funtion impossible to implement? ArcPad, which we are still forced to use because if this, could do this 20 (!) years ago:

Define reference points A & B or snap to existing points (real world field markers) for accurate starting coordinates, measure bearings, inclinations, distances as needed, set magnetic declination and height correction values and get a point at the location you are aiming at.

So straight forward, so simple conceptually, apparently impossible for ESRI in 2024...sorry for the angry tone, I keep on asking for this since more than 10 years, through the ESRI boards, local representatives, user groups, with ZERO response...