Select to view content in your preferred language

Mobile App - allow zoom past the smallest zoom level

10-12-2012 06:02 AM
DarinWelch1
Occasional Contributor

A primary benefit (and a huge one at that) of the ArcGIS mobile app for iPad and Android is the ability to collect data. One of the struggles we've had using it in the field is that you can't seem to zoom in quite far enough to get a more accurate placement of data that you're collecting.  I understand that it is restricting the user to the predefined, and standardized map zoom levels, but it also doesn't force you to any of those on mobile (like browser based maps do).  I also realize that you can tap and hold to get a magnifier for a tighter degree of accuracy when placing/editing features, but this still is cumbersome due to the smallest zoom scale you are forced to stay at when using the magnifier.

Giving the ability to zoom in tighter on mobile would greatly help the field collection process.

8 Comments
AlexZhuk
Isn't it frustrating that such a simple and useful idea ddin't get a better traction?

You may want to vote on a similar idea here too:
https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E00000004WMbIAM
JakeKrall
I should hope this gets more attention seeing that more users are moving to the mobile devices for field work and collecting data.  Just a general map background would suffice to eleviate the frustration to zoom in more closely on any AGOL map, whether collection data or just viewing it.

As an example, in a water network infrastructure, there are valves in very close proximity that can't be seen at the current restricted zoom level.  So, creating your own basemap is the only way I see to get past this limitation.

Esri, can we please get this "zoom in" limitation removed?
MattEitrem
Can't believe this is still a problem. ArcGIS Explorer online used to allow zooming in further. I had to get around this by cachiing my basemaps down to 1:250 which is I think 3 levels more than the standard Arcgis map caches.
MarkLund
C'mon ESRI if you're going to hammer on us to use AGOL then at least give it some core functionality that we need. 
HaydenFoley
Yes this is a real issue especially for 'Offline Basemaps' covering large areas given there is a Tile Package (TPK) maximum file size that can be created & download onto the mobile device. This means you have constraints upon the Tile Level Range you can select. You need to at least be able to zoom in beyond the Tile Level scale constraint even though the image itself becomes more and more pixelated as you do so.
ForrestPengra
I believe part of this is a restriction on the 'base maps'.  It's ridiculous because you can set your scale levels on your map services to go in super far but when you view in app you can't go further than the basemap.  I tried to work around this by not having a 'base map' but it won't let me.  VERY VERY frustrating.  My guys want this for locating purposes and right now AGOL is useless to me.
ScottPrindle

Hello Darin,

Thank you for submitting this idea. Between the date of submission and today, the ArcGIS Online basemaps' Level of Detail (LOD) were expanded to reach a scale of 1:70. The current apps (Collector included) rely on the web map and its basemap to provide the LOD and ability to zoom.

When voting for this idea, please consider including comments on how the current zoom levels affect your workflows. If the ArcGIS Online basemaps' LOD doesn't meet your needs, please help us understand how your field workers are using the app and how they would benefit from zooming beyond 1:70.

Thanks,

Scott

DarinWelch1

Scott - thank you for letting me know about the update. I think this is a significantly great addition to Collector! Just tried it and it will definitely satisfy our needs. Go Esri!