Extend ArcGIS and Collector for BlackBerry 10 Mobile Devices.

05-08-2013 11:19 AM
MatthewBodnar
New Contributor II
The redesigned BlackBerry 10 platform devices feature larger displays data integrity and a vast improvement in OS stability.

As many enterprises continue to select this device for data security, there is reason to extend the ArcGIS product line to BlackBerry 10.

To reduce capital investment at an early stage, BlackBerry 10 features an ability to run Android applications, with a relatively minor repackaging of the established code in the Android app.

Although an application built in native cascades code would provide an unmatched user experience.

Although BlackBerry is not dominant in consumer marketshare, they definitly have a presence in the professional sector. These are the individuals who make the most use to ArcGIS and its fleet of tools.

Consideration is appreciated.

Regards,

Matthew Bodnar
5 Comments
ByronSmiley
Completely agree. Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of ESRI development.
GiovanniCalzadilla1

Very good suggestion. The combination of physical keyboard and touch screen make BB 10 a good option to collect data in the field.

SteveGoodfellow
Really great idea, I am currently running the Collector for GIS on my Blackberry Z10. I was going to suggest this idea until i saw that it was already suggested. Hopefully ESRI does create a native Blackberry app.
MarkHale1
Wonder if this has moved any further. I am currently using the Z30. Battery life is amazing and would really find GIS on this very useful
KurtSargent
I agree, the Android app works, but native would be more efficent. Blackberry isn't going anywhere. Rumours of its demise are greatly exagerated. I bought one by choice, and not because it was forced on me!  :-)