Dual Collection - Stream Lines while adding Points

04-27-2015 08:11 AM
deleted-user-FYWnb7WVNuhY
New Contributor III

We need the ability to stream a line while adding point features using Collector.  I need to be able to drive a newly built road or a road underconstruction and stream that line into collector as I drive.  While its streaming I need my passenger to have the ability to add points of road closures, signs, construction, with out stopping and starting the streaming feature.

https://geonet.esri.com/message/453114#453114

34 Comments
MichaelKraus

ArcPad had this functionality, so there is a working example of how this concept on how this functionality could be exposed to the user - Start recording a line, allow user to add points while it is recording in the background / waiting for closing vertices.

Our clients would use this for road asset management / damage assessment purposes.  Eg: recording a damaged section of road, also needing to record a broken sign or drain before reaching the end of the road.  Currently they have to plan the sequence of the collection, back track once completed the line to record point features (often forgetting to).  I have also seen applications in environmental management - eg record a transect for pest animal spotting, and record each sighting while the transect is still being recorded. 

We have situations where clients are taking out two devices to do this with current the current software - one for lines one for points.

Thanks,

Michael

BrysonWebber

This is also a deal breaker for us.

BrysonWebber

We use ArcPad right now stream polylines while collecting points while searching for invasive species.  This lack of functionality is what is stopping us from using Collector.

JürgenAchilles

I agree with most of the above comments it is the same in our workflow where the user collects a line i.e. a road or a fire edge and also needs to record point features along the way including attachments. It is a bit of a showstopper for using collector with many of our users when they realise they have to stop and go. Not an easy thing to do in an aircraft for example and potentially dangerous in a vehicle.

Regards

Jürgen

ShawnKaschmitter

Scott, 

This is also very important in our work.  At least two different aspects off of the top of my head could use simultaneous feature collection.  

For one aspect, we collect abandoned road data for possible decommissioning in natural resource/habitat restoration.  The ability to stream the road (line feature) while collecting various other data like culverts, wash-outs, failures, etc. (point data) would save countless hours of post-processing work in ArcMap.

We also could collect data for treatment of invasive species on roads and trails (line feature) while being able to draw a point or polygon around a new invading species without terminating our line.  This also would save loads of post-processing time in the office.

I cannot think of a more helpful tool that the one that is proposed in this topic  PLEASE help us make this happen.

Thank you,

Shawn

HeatherSavage

Scott Prindle My agency uses Collector to manage natural resource sites.  On a typical inspection, we walk the perimeter of the site and would ideally take point locations along the way to record notable features or problems.  We use the streaming tool to create a polygon, but if we pause streaming to add a point and then try to go back to edit the polygon and continue streaming, it's a nonstarter.  Streaming can be started again in edit mode, but the polygon is not updated. So we end up having to walk the perimeter twice, once for the polygon and once for the points - highly inefficient.

jkarmon

In the realm of trails mapping, we would want to walk a trail while collecting asset management features along the way as points (signs, garbage cans, benches, kiosks, trail heads, points of interest, etc.).  The ability to pause line collections, switch to a point collection, then switch back to line collection would be much more efficient along non-linear trails, while also reducing post-processing times.  

GISSupport3

Just to clarify our use case ... we would want to keep streaming the line and simultaneously add a point.

Most of this type of collection for us is done in helicopters which aren't keen on pausing.

deleted-user-z9OjN-EoUVWn

Throwing support behind this.  Let's do it ESRI!

StewartSpooner

I’m mapping trails, and just starting into Collector. I designed my workflow in advance, and was disappointed that Collecter doesn’t support this functionality.  Simultaneous line streaming (multiple lines) and point collection would eliminate multiple passes of the same section of trail.