Don't require Collector to login before using offline maps

08-24-2015 10:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Need to be able to open the collector app and access offline maps WITHOUT having to connect/login first. I created my map for a remote location deep in the woods, downloaded the offline map, and was surprised when I got to my location that the app had to connect and login first, in order to access the map I had downloaded. What is the point of offline if the app still has to connect before opening?

Allow the collector app to open and browse offline maps without requiring a connection to check the login/credentials.

Tags (1)
6 Comments
DanAllen
You have to be "online" first before you can be "offline".
DavidBojc
This was issue with some devices like Nexus 5 and is now fixed with Collector 10.3.4
LanceCase
Same thing happend to us; although we had logged into Collector before heading out into the woods where the app crashed and we couldn't get back in without a broadband connection to login.  Made for a grumpy day in the woods.
DanielleKulas
Oooh this happened to me too! Somehow got logged out of the app after downloading map but before demo-ing the app to a room full of people. Luckily realized about 45 mins before my presentation started but had to drive around country roads with my ipad like a crazy lady for 20 mins to get a signal to log in
DavidCarpenter

This could be a process similar what ArcGIS Mobile uses when working with secured services from ArcGIS Server; you are only prompted to provide credentials when the application recognizes it is connected.  This allows you to open the application and work in the field disconnected quite happily editing your data, no credentials required.  When you are connected and want to sync you are prompted to provide credentials.

JohnDye

I'm not sure I would advocate allowing access to maps without any form of authentication. I think a better solution might be to support some form of local authentication. This could be done by generating hash values for a user's credentials when they successfully authentication while their device has connectivity. Those hash values could then be stored locally by Collector and when a user was required to authenticate while offline, Collector could simply hash the credentials the user is given and determine if the hash value for the credentials the user is giving matches the hash value of the credentials Collector stored previously. This would allow local authentication without you having to be online. 

In any case, I support resolving the core issue this idea presents - authenticating while disconnected.