Collector/Survey123: CAPTURE X/Y/Z COORDINATES into any ATTRIBUTE FIELD (aka MULTIPLE GEOMETRY DATA for ONE FEATURE).

10-31-2017 02:48 PM
StanislavVyskocil
New Contributor II
ABILITY TO COLLECT MULTIPLE X/Y/Z values INTO ANY ATTRIBUTE FIELD
*PRACTICAL EXAMPLE:
For 'AS BUILT (AS CONSTRUCTED)' DATA COLLECTION we have got 1 feature, call it 'MANHOLE 01'.
For this 'MANHOLE 01' (point) are required multiple spatial information like:
- X,Y,Z for a lid (which is not in the center of the manhole)
- X,Y,Z for a manhole bottom (base=center of the manhole)
- Z levels for inlets
- Z levels for outlets
All these information are stored as attribute values under 'MANHOLE 01' feature fields.
Currently we have to survey all those points separately and using post processing operation we copy the geometry of extra points and paste it into attribute fields of 'MANHOLE 01'
*SIMPLE POWERFUL SOLUTION
- make an option menu for field with ability to 'snap/stake' X/Y/Z into the attribute field, SEE THE PICTURE BELOW
This simple function would be just a breakthrough for us!
6 Comments
MichaelKelly

This is at least partially possible through Survey123 at the 2.4 release. See The Power of Nothing blog post for further details. The enables you to capture more than one point through attributes using the pulldata(‘@geopoint’) function in combination with the null bind::esri:fieldType.

The alternative is to have repeat sections with a restriction of one answer per repeat with geopoint questions. The points are then stored in separate layers, so you can display them on a map without post processing (as they are not just attributes).

StanislavVyskocil

Thanks Michael,

yes, that's quite a bit workaround option for Survey123.
The proposed function seems to be much simpler and more user friendly.

ScottPrindle

Hello Stanislav,

Thanks for submitting this idea! I've modified the title of your idea a bit to better convey your request.

To clarify, are you looking to collect a simple point feature, but allow the additional geometry collection for spatial attributes for that feature? In your example, it looks like this is the case: where the feature will have one location on the map, but the additional attribution is collectible through the editing form.

I like the screenshot you've mocked up. This really helps clarify what you would like to see in the app.

Thanks,

Scott

PS: when voting for this idea, please consider leaving a comment to share how this would be beneficial in your workflows or projects.

StanislavVyskocil

Hi Scott,

thanks for that and yes, that’s what I’m after,

We need to store more geometry attributes within 1 feature. So all the additional geometry needs to be stored in custom attribute fields.

As per the example, 1 manhole has got more levels (lid level, base level, invert level 1, invert level 2, …).

So, this simple function would make the survey much simplier rather than survey 5 different points.

Please any idea when might be available new gen. collector for Android?

Cheers, Stan

ScottPrindle

Hey Stan,

The beta for the next generation of Collector is coming soon. You can email collectorbeta@esri.com to be included when it is released.

I don't have a timeline for your particular request, but I do appreciate the clarification you were able to provide. As more varied workflows are shared in the comments, we can get an idea of how else this functionality would benefit our users.

Thanks,

Scott

StanislavVyskocil

Thank for comment Scott,

I think the application can be really broad, basically just everything where you need to store X/Y/Z information as an attribute, I'll give you just a few examples from my civil world:

- 'MANHOLE': lid Z, lid XY, bottom Z, bottom XY, inlet Z, outlet Z

- 'PIPE': invert level, top of pipe level

- 'PUMP STATION': there is a lot of geometry to be surveyed but ideally to be stored as 1 feature

- 'POTHOLING profiles': 1 point, more Z values for each layer

- 'CABLES POTHOLING': bottom of trench, bottom of cables, top of cables, top surface

- 'RETAINING WALL': top, bottom

It could be use as a 'help attribute' for smart fields with formula, application:

- 'TREE' (CIRCLE) - 1st surveyed point is center of tree, second point is edge of crown (that's the 'help attribute') and out of it can be automatically calculated diameter of the tree crown

and so...

I'm sure every surveyor would give you X applications where they survey more Z values for 1 asset. To have an ability to store the info under 1 point rather than X points would be definitely useful.