Collector - Geofencing

11-11-2014 08:14 AM
DennisHunink
New Contributor III

Geofencing is already possible in several API's, which is great. Therefore it shouldn't be to hard to make Geofencing also possible within the ArcGIS App.

Personaly I use the Collector app a lot with students (ages 10 - 18) during field trips. It's amazing and they love it, makes field trips so much more fun then walking around with old-skool textbooks in the field.
The Collector app is so much better, so much more stable and so much more feature-rich compared to other software options. 
Adding Geofencing to the Collector App would make it so much more powerfull, it would allow me to configure certain points that can only be accessed when students are near. In addition, it would be safer and save batery life if students would not be required to look at there phonescreens all the time but recieve a alert, triggered by geofencing, when their near a certain point.

I do realize that my why of using the app isn't the one the app had been designed for. Whoever, I do believe lot's of proffesionals would encounter lot's of situations in which geofencing would be very powerfull in completeing their every day work!

5 Comments
ScottPrindle

Hello all,

When voting for this idea, please consider leaving a comment to share your use case. How could geofencing be used in your current workflows to improve productivity? What other improvements do you envision it offering for your projects?

Thanks,

Scott

GISDepartment9

We use Collector app to collect data and have it track the location of the iPad in use for people to know where they are in the real world. Therefore, it would be nice to have geo-fencing so we can get notifications if we are getting close to a certain area. For example, sensitive herbicide spray locations or entering or leaving city limits when they should be staying within them.

Also, I am not sure if this would all work without ArcServer and or Geo-Event Processor but to be able to notify people of there location while hopefully utilizing the app would be very helpful.

BryceGardner2

We would like the ability to restrict the ability to add points to only specific areas to keep our field crews from accidentally locating points outside of our areas of interest.

PeterMacKenzie2

excavation field crews using the collector app might go to an area that has known soil contamination, getting an alert about this location (using geofence data) is another way to remind users of this potential risk - and therefore increase safety. 

JuanCarlosTorres

I'm looking to implement geofencing for mowing and spraying crews close to protected habitats. The crew needs to have a warning when they approach the protected areas such a blinking layer.