Auto-populate Field in Related Table based on Corresponding Field in Parent Feature Class

02-20-2020 01:35 PM
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II

I would like the ability to have a field in a related table auto-populate based on a corresponding field in a parent feature class.  Currently the only way this happens is if said field is used as the key field in the relationship class.  Sometimes there are multiple fields' worth of values/text in the parent feature class that you desire to be included in the child table.  Having to re-enter this information is time consuming and inefficient.  In ArcPad this was easily done through a few lines of VBScript.  After spending a couple hours on the phone with an extremely thorough ESRI tech, it was concluded that this cannot be done.

5 Comments
AnninaHirschiWyss

I'll add Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS and ArcGIS API for JavaScript to this idea. In my case I need two fields (with domains) for symbology in my "geometry" layers and both of them as well in the related table for creating charts with dashboard. The selector can then create the link between the charts and the map. So, when editing, users have to edit/update the feature layer AND the related table. This might lead to mismatches if they fields are not somehow linked to each other...

KoryKramer

Has anybody tried accomplishing this with Attribute Rules? Data Functions | ArcGIS for Developers 

Automating Calculations and Constraints with Attribute Rules 

ChristopherBowering

Of the 3 attribute rules available, calculation would be the closest but I don't think that function would produce the desired goal.  I wouldn't be looking to create a new value thru a concatenation or contingency of some sort, merely a transfer of an attribute from one field in the parent to a corresponding field in the child table.  I also wouldn't want it to occur solely with the addition of a new feature but also if attributes are changed within an existing feature-table relationship.  If this can work somehow, the ESRI tech I worked with did not offer it as a possibility.

JinhoKang3

This would be very helpful for the field operator's asset status update through the collector app. For our entity, it's usually 1-to-Many relationship approach, and the field operator would like to see multiple attributes automatically populate (Facility ID, Meter ID, supervisor, etc) the fields. The other main reason to have those (duplicated) attribute fields in the related table is because ArcGIS (Pro) can only create reports from a single table. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

DanielWhitworth

I love the ability for the maps to link up in multiple windows and stay in sync. It would sure be nice for the resulting selected records to do the same between a primary/secondary table. I could see concern with it slowing things down in some cases.. Maybe make it a option in the Related Data drop down menuL
Related Data - Once
Related Data - Auto