ArcPad for Android

11-22-2011 06:38 AM
AdamOlson
Occasional Contributor

Please create ArcPad to run on Android devices.

I do not understand why ArcPad continues to be updated for an old Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system?

Android is far superior and already has some great GIS apps such as Locus Pro and OSMAND.

Please review the features within Locus Pro and OSMAND and create those features in a ArcPad for Android.

Some very usefull features in OSMAND is the transparency slider bar (just keep it on the main screen for easy changing in the field)

Also, please use sqlitedb for tiles and create a desktop application to convert ArcMap projects to sqlitedb format for use on Android.

39 Comments
AuraRamos_Lora
No se enfoquen en un solo rubro de información donde queremos hacer una captura del lugar donde estamos, a veces solo por presumir queremos posicionar nuestra ubicación y que mejor desde un dispositivo móvil con SO Android, al alcance de todos,
BrianIngalls
The new Galaxy Note 2 phone with its stylist pen just screams GIS. Can't wait until there is better GIS software available for it such as ArcPAD or at least ArcReader with it's markup feature.
JeremiahPoling
I would think now that trimble is selling a rugged android device, that this might become more of a priority.

SteveDoench
Now that HP Dell etc... PDA devices other than Trimble Junos and others specilaized for mobile GIS are no longer manufactured, it is becoming more costly and difficult to find hardware.  Really need the option to work with ArcPAD on Andriod, Windows Phone or iPhone as a standalone product capable of working with just GPS and not require a cell connection. 
HusseinNasser
This idea will make it easier on so many orginzations to move to mobile data editing

I would like to qoute some comment on this subject that really makes a point here 

tombell@stratamodel.com;228427 wrote:
I recently read a discussion on facebook requesting that ESRI create an ArcPad version that runs on the Android OS. Several ESRI employees associated with ArcPad development responded in one way or another. I was amazed or should I say dismayed by their contention that no one would want to use a phone as a data gathering platform because in general, they are not rugged devices. 

As a long time ArcPad and rugged PDA user, I would like to point out some of the realities of using so called rugged PDAs. First, the low end devices may be rugged while still in the box but in fact out there in the real world, they don't last as long as we expect. These devices are expensive ($1,000+) and expensive to fix. Second, though there are videos on the web were people drop them on the floor or throw them into swimming pools, most of us know better than to abuse them like this. The fact is, rugged PDAs aren't as necessary as many people think. 

I would like to be able to buy a cheap mobile device that isn't rugged and throw it away if it breaks or get it repaired for something less than 50% of the original purchase price. Low end android based tablets are getting cheap so why use a high priced rugged device? Maybe the only barrier to this strategy is ESRIs unrealistic assumptions about the needs of its user base.

JeffSprock
ArcPad is an easily customizable product! Far better than the ArcGIS Online or the build your own app options currently available for field data collection. Please consider extending ArcPad’s capabilities to iOS and the Andriod operating systems! Why should my organization have to pay $600-$3,000 for a new “rugged” device when I can buy a new smartphone/tablet for $200-$500? We have been running HP iPAQs (not rugged) with ArcPad for close to five years with only one breakdown in the field.  Why not give us the option to run ArcPad or something like ArcPad on our iPad or smartphone? If the smartphone/tablet breaks down its much more cost effective for our organization simply replace the device the to pay the higher prices for a “rugged” device.

Sincerely,

Jeff Sprock
GIS Coordinator
North Platte Natural Resources District
(308) 632-2749
jsprock@npnrd.org
AndrewCheng
I agreed....  The Android platform becomes more and more popular and robust.  I also have several Android phones (Sammys) and a Android tablet.  It's time for ESRI to reconized this useful platform and provide more support on it.  Just my 2 cents.........
MykhayloNakapelyukh
I do not understand till now, why don't developed ESRI's ArcPAD for Android OS. This is big question for me!
StaceMaples
WIndows Mobile is quickly becoming an obsolete mobile platform.  Get with it.  We need ArcPad functionality on iPhone AND Android.  So we can use bleeding edge AND affordable devices like this: http://www.meetearl.com/
Ana_MarieAbante
We need ArcPad functionality on iPhone AND Android on GIS modeling because most of the map source that are official documents were done using old techniques and limited functions of available technologies during map preparations. With iPhone AND Android plus arcpad, GIS modeling is easy and possible in shorter period which is very helpful to every professional i various fields. I believed in "ArcPad" since i first used it in 1998 and no tool has replaced it until now.