ArcGIS Collector (Android) automatically opens the keyboard for coded domain fields

01-26-2016 09:48 AM
EdwardGlover
New Contributor III

Prior to Collector for ArcGIS Version 10.3.6 build 1017 on Android the keyboard would not open when editing a coded-domain field.  Since this latest update, the keyboard now appears each time a coded-domain field is edited.  I don't understand the logic behind this change.  My idea is to revert back to not having the keyboard appear or have an option to disable the automatic keyboard.  The keyboard unessessarily takes up half the screen and needs to be closed each time.  This is extremly problematic from a usability standpoint.
0EME0000000kHAo

17 Comments
JustinNorvell1

Scott Prindle‌, similar to Brendon Joyce, this domain search feature has really hurt our efficiency.  We purposely designed each of our domains to fit into the visible menu on Collector for speed of collection.  Is there any way a setting can be added to engage this search feature rather than requiring all to use?  In the near-term, can ESRI provide a previous version of the application to install and use?

Thanks.

MarkYerington

I would vote that android handle the search of a domain like IOS.  If you want to search on something then you select the filter window.  When you are in a domain it completely fill out the screen with the domain.  The android 10.4.2 on a small device is very inefficient with this virtual keyboard active all the time.  I am even seeing when you hit the arrow key old domain popups are staying active and the field you are on just pops up on top.  Our field workers are very frustrated with this.

WilliamNguyen

Has this been addressed yet? Its such a simple fix, I feel like Esri like to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place. Scott Prindle you never returned to answer the questions following your comment is there someone else that could help us address this issue? Staff really hate this limitation of the keyboard. All of our coded domain fields are only 2-15 long do the filter is totally useless and a complete hindrance.

AurelieShapiro

add this to the problem that on tablets Collector is forced into landscape orientation, and so when the keyboard pops up it takes us half the screen, so you can't see your map or form anymore. So as far as I can tell *warning!* Collector is practically useless on a tablet. Would have been nice to know before purchasing big screen tablets, as I would have bought galaxy phones or similar instead...

JustinNorvell1

We had the same problem. I’ve requested an option be added to limit keyboard popping up. Until then, on our Samsung tablet, we use the floating keyboard, which makes the keyboard smaller and can be moved to the part of the screen that makes the least impact.

Justin

“Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it's in your power to help them.”

Tim-Woodfield

Has there been any updates on this? Domains are essentially unusable on an android as the keyboard displays on top of the drop down list. Hitting the back button to close the keyboard also closes the domain list. 

DougMorgenthaler
Status changed to: Implemented

This has been addressed as part of ArcGIS Collector.