Allow users at the Creator level to create "View" layers of their own, from shared content (layers and view layers that they do not own, but are shared with them)

03-07-2019 05:15 PM
BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

I would like to see a feature added to ArcGIS Online that would allow users at the creator level to create their own View layers from content that is shared with them, but not owned.  Creator level users from inside and outside of my organization could then use Feature Layers AND View Layers that I've shared with them to create "View" layers of their own that suit their needs.  These layers could then be added to their web maps and taken offline in Collector alongside other layers created from the same original/parent feature layer...  Similar to creating copies of a feature layer within a map, but these layers could be taken offline in Collector.

This idea stems from the limitation in the New Collector app that does not allow a map to be downloaded for offline use when multiple copies of a layer are present within the map.  The only current solution is to have the layer owner create multiple view layers, which can then be added to a map and used offline in Collector.  This can become a cumbersome task for the owner of a feature layer or view layer that is shared and used by many other users at the creator license level.

Here are a couple of other discussions about this:

https://community.esri.com/message/836282-re-update-cannot-create-offline-area-if-webmap-has-a-copy-... 

Blog discussion: Take the same layer offline twice in Collector using feature layer views 

Another idea that might solve this issue:

Enable/Allow Maps With Multiple Copies of a Layer to be Used Offline in Collector