Add option to Date-Time stamp photo attachments in Collector

10-07-2015 08:25 AM
BarryWilliams
New Contributor II

Currently to get a date-time stamp on a photo attachment in Collector we have to use a third party app to date stamp the image.  The image must then be saved to the mobile device.  It can then be added as an attachment in Collector.

It would be helpful to have the option to add the date-time stamp to photo attachments directly from Collector.  This would streamline field data collection.

19 Comments
DavidForbuss1

We need this ability too for photo documenting sewer and stormwater features.  We used to use a Trimble Geo7x that would timestamp our photos.  We have since done a complete GIS overhaul that included switching to Collector for our GPS work.

BugPie
by

Oh NO!! is this really not implemented yet? 

State Historic Preservation Offices require a time and date stamp on all photos for consulting parties during the Section 106 process. This is a must or we can't use collector...  

Mreynolds4

Is there any update on this? Still trying to find a solution.

AlisonMynsberge

Please update FieldMaps to include date taken/date modified.  EXIF data don't pull into ArcGIS reports - and I'm not sure how to dig that out of attachments in a MS Report Builder, either.

BruceDavidson

We have some users that would like to timestamp their photos in Collector so that when they view the photo they can see when the photo was taken.

BrittanyGale

I am currently able to find the date/time stamp once I export the photos from Collector onto my computer, but not from within Collector.  Since the field staff only work within the Collector app, it is important for them to see the date/time stamp on their end.  Please implement this, ESRI!   

DavidForbuss1

We ended up just using a third party app on our ipads to mark the photos after they've been taken.  It's definitely not ideal, but works ok for us for the time being.

brooks248

Please ESRI! It's been eight years.

ChaseSchieffer

I don't know if this will help anyone. I haven't tested it out recently, but I have used the tool below to batch export images.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-batch-export-attachments-from-a-feature-class-i...

I have then used this Powershell script to append the date the image was taken to the end of the image name.

$shell = New-Object -ComObject shell.application
$usCulture = [Globalization.CultureInfo]'en-US'
Get-ChildItem | ForEach{
$folder = $shell.NameSpace($_.DirectoryName)
$RawDate = ($folder.GetDetailsOf($folder.ParseName($_.Name),12) -Replace "[^\w /:]")
$datetime = [DateTime]::Parse($RawDate,$usCulture)
$DateTaken = $datetime.ToString("MM-dd-yyyy")
Rename-Item $_.FullName ($_.BaseName + "_" + $DateTaken + $_.Extension)}