Collector - The Aurora Project

09-06-2017 08:20 AM
JeffShaner
Esri Regular Contributor
70 165 73K
Update: Collector's Aurora Beta is available. Already have it? Join the discussion in our Early Adopter Community

Collector for ArcGIS launched in the Apple App Store and Google Play in January 2013, followed by the Windows Store in December 2015.  Since its initial release Collector has evolved considerably, and as its capabilities have grown, so has its adoption and we are very thankful for your support.

Now the time has come for a refresh. A refresh in user experience, a refresh in technology, a refresh in field data collection workflows. So… here comes the Aurora Project.

Through the Aurora project, Collector is getting a number of improvements you have requested:

• Better maps
  • Improved user experience
  • Smarter forms
  • Streamlined offline workflows
  • Enhancements to high accuracy 3D data collection

Most importantly, the Aurora Project brings a new foundation we will build upon to advance data collection workflows in the ArcGIS platform. Let’s take a deeper look at some of these improvements:

Better maps

Collector is adding support for vector basemaps (both online and offline), so that you can view crisp, high quality cartography that takes advantage of the amazing pixel density of your iPad Pro or Samsung S8+ device. Downloading vector tiles to your device will dramatically reduce the footprint of offline content on your device as well.

Rich symbology and smart mapping capabilities you rely on to effectively represent your spatial information and publish using ArcGIS Pro will look great in Collector.  In addition, it will support displaying labels in your map, the top idea you’ve asked for in Collector.

With these improved mapping capabilities, your maps will look great rotated, too!

FIMT symbology, Labeling and Heat Maps

FIMT symbology, Labeling and Heat Maps

Improved user experience

Significant improvements to the user experience (UX) of Collector are coming and you will see this in the very first beta release. We have spent time redesigning the collect experience so that we can streamline workflows. Some improvements include:

1. Better layout to support your workflows – Core tools like Collect are more accessible to promote the scenarios you use every day.

2. Easier capture of accurate data locations – use cross hairs that provide a “cursor-on-target” experience to precisely define location.

3. Better use of screen real estate - let’s face it, working on a phone often leaves you wanting a bit more screen real estate.  Sometimes you want to see the map, sometimes you want to see the form, sometimes you want to see a bit of both. With our new sliding panel design, move between these views seamlessly by sliding the panel up or down to seamlessly move between map-centric and form-centric views to fit your workflow.

4. Smarter data entry - have a lot of exciting work planned for the form, starting with the UX. Take a photo in fewer taps, capture additional media (audio, video), read information from QR and bar codes, edit in place on the form, and use a proper keyboard when editing numeric fields.

Smarter Forms

Forms are improving more than just the UX: you’ll find they honor the modern capabilities of the ArcGIS platform.

Collector is founded on the principles of the web map. Layers that you collect data into follow the guidelines set by feature layers you author and feature services you publish. The dictionary of feature types are based upon feature templates you create, and the forms experience is driven by popups you configure from the information model you create. But within that popup, support for validation of required fields, Arcade expressions, and attribute rules will be added.

Arcade Expressions are particularly exciting, as they will drive a smarter forms experience when editing in Collector, in web apps, and in ArcGIS Pro. Conditional logic, enrichment of data, inheritance of values from other features, grouping, and ordering of attributes will all come with this update.

Streamlined Offline Workflows

Collector works anywhere, anytime you need it. Maps can be downloaded to your device and you can synchronize changes when you gain connectivity. This release brings a simplified download experience, improved management of offline map areas, and the ability to keep working when you drift in and out of connectivity.

Within your ArcGIS organization, you will be able to plan ahead: prepare the areas to go offline, store them in your content, and share them throughout your organization. Mobile workers simply select the map areas they need and download them to their devices.

We are simplifying the interactive download experience as well as managing local content on the device. One key aspect is how you work with basemaps. In addition to packaged tile map services, Collector will support packaged mobile maps built with ArcGIS Pro and vector tiles. In the app, you’ll be able to download and manage a collection of offline basemaps.

Enhancements to High Accuracy 3D Data Collection

As part of this project, Collector is adding support for direct capture of 3D data. In addition, vertical datum transformations will allow you to transform elevations on the fly, eliminating office workflows usually required to achieve accurate elevations.   

Collector - Aurora Project Schedule

The Aurora development project is underway and the first beta of Collector’s new dawn will be this fall! We will release a series of betas, bringing new capabilities with each update. To participate in the beta, please email collectorbeta@esri.com and then join our Early Adopter Program.  Your feedback throughout the beta is important to us – we want to hear from you!

Our current target for release is Q3 of 2018 for the iOS platform and Q4 for the Android platform. We have not set a release date for the Windows platform yet. We know Collector is an essential part of your mobile workflows, and our goal is to make the transition easy for you. Starting with the beta releases, Collector as you know it today and this significant update will happily live side-by-side on your device.

Collector Team

165 Comments
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you Hayleigh and Doug,

Perhaps you can clarify this a bit more for me.

According to the testing I've performed when creating a web map in ArcGIS Online, I am able to add additional vector tile layers as operational layers and not just as a basemap. In Collector, because those are now listed as layers, they can be toggled off/on, just like you would any other layer that was editable. I also verified that this works successfully when downloading a map for offline use.

In my simple test case, I created a new web map that used the default Esri Topo Basemap, the vector version. I then added another custom vector tile service that I created along with an editable point layer as operational layers. This worked successfully in Collector. I was able to turn the vector tile layer off and see the underlying basemap.

Could you please clarify my understanding with what you're requesting and what I explained above that is currently available? I just want to make sure I am fully understanding the scenario.

Are you saying that want to be able have multiple VTPK's/TPK's local to the device and then add them as layers directly into the map in Collector? 

Thank you

-Kevin

HayleighPervorse1
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

On our Portal I created a web map, added some imagery for export as a basemap, I also added a editable point layer. When I just did this I was able to mark the web map with "Offline Mode". However, when I went into the web map and added a hosted vector tile layer, I was no longer to check the option for "offline mode".

You mentioned in one of your previous comments that the vector tile has to be enabled for exporting tiles. Where is this configured? Perhaps this is why I no longer see the offline mode? I do not see this option when creating the vector tile package or upon adding the vector tile package item to the portal.

Thanks for all your help!

Hayleigh

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your comment here "Are you saying that want to be able have multiple VTPK's/TPK's local to the device and then add them as layers directly into the map in Collector? "

Yes that is exactly it.  I just want to copy paste a list of VTPKs and TPKs to a sd card on my tablet and use them as on/off layers in my Collector and 123 maps.

Our central office has a directory full of layers

Roads.tpk

Streams.tpk

Gates.tpk

Ownershipslines.tpk

etc

These all get built off maps each weekend and pushed out to local offices.  I have about 10-20 TPKs per office with 20 offices.  Each area is about 10GB that has to be on every tablet.  Managers cover many offices so I load as much as 70 GB on those!  We have imagery, and all the above type layers for about 30,000 sq miles or more.

I thought VTPKs would change the game for me since my roads layers went from 10 gb to 25 mb!  But then the files have just been sitting here for years now because I cannot actually use them for anything.

Adding to the map is an interesting idea.  Normally the TPK is so huge that this would not help me.  VTPK may be different.  But in the end we have such limited wifi that they prob will not help much.  I really need to get data on via usb in these remote areas.  We may be offline for weeks.

Thanks for asking!  Just trying to help make it better.

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Hayleigh,

Thank you for the information. In your Portal, if you go to the item details page > Settings for any of the hosted tiled layers, there should be a check box at the bottom of the page called 'Offline Mode'. This allows the tiles to be exported for offline use.

That setting is per tiled service. When all tiled layers in the web map support offline mode individually, then the web map should display the option for offline mode as well. 

Thank you.

-Kevin

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you for that information and clarification Doug!

As another potential way you can approach this, might be to use the preplanned offline areas for the web map. You can create a web map with all the necessary layers in it and then create the individual preplanned areas. Then all the field user has to do is download them. Provided the work areas are known. 

This way, all the heavy computing is done in the office to create these areas and not in the field. 

Thanks

-Kevin

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No my areas are way too big for that.  A guy might cover 100x100 mile radius while offline.  Plus really why do all that work when I could just pop in a sd card and go.  Plus no wifi needed.  And when we do have wifi then I would have 20 guys eating up the wifi in the office - just to all download the exact same thing!  AND that file is already just sitting there on their computer!  Creating the VTPK once and copy paste to 400 tablets is way more efficient, esp when they only change once a year.  Lets support the easy way.

I guess I do not understand Vector basemaps at all.  Vector tiles work best for things like roads where there are discrete features with lots of white space in between.  A Basemap is a continues surface of data/colors - which does not make sense for vector tiles.

In my brain at least having a TPK basemap with VTPK overlays is the perfect solution.  Yet in the few years vector tiles have been out I still cannot do this.  I cannot think of any use case where I would have just vectors as my basemap.

I guess I just don't get the vision here.  Vector tiles could be a home run but they are crippled.  We had a simple 3rd party Esri code stack app that did all of this years ago no problem so I know its possible it just needs to be opened up. 

Please consider it as it would really change our lives.

I also really wish VPTK could have popups or at least one field attached (I see a spot in there for it).  In Pro you can associate a FS for popups but have not found this in AGOL yet or Collector.

Thanks!

HayleighPervorse1
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

The issue is that I do not have that "Allow this layer to be downloaded and used in an offline map" option for my vector tile. Do you know why this could be or what I should do to enable this option? 

Thank you,

Hayleigh

HayleighPervorse1
New Contributor II

NR_-_MorganVoss__GISS_
New Contributor

It's great that the latest release is finally supporting TPKs. However, in offline map creation, you must specify the filename of the TPK in the advanced settings. 

Is there a way to use wildcards with the file name? I tried different ways and received errors. The problem is we use multiple TPKs and having to set one as the default will not work for us, especially since sometimes we will not know the name of the TPK until later on and sometimes the extent changes, etc. I realize you can change a basemap once a default TPK is set and the map is downloaded, however that may cause difficulty for our users without every TPK we use.

It would be nice if it was an option to choose a TPK while setting the area, similar to Collector Classic. 

Setting an offline area mostly works right now, as it will download a small chunk of imagery and all the feature layers we're working with, but we also cover large areas so it is pointless to have to set multiple map areas when there are several TPK basemaps already loaded on the iPad for that reason. We're planning to eventually adapt our workflows to new collector, but having to specify TPK names puts a wrench in things. Especially for our folks in limited wifi/service areas, hence the side loading of TPKs. 

Any insight is much appreciated. 

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Hayleigh,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Can you please explain how you're creating these VTPK's? 

In your screenshot above, it's strange that the visible range is 1 to 1.

Thank you

-Kevin

LindseyStone
Occasional Contributor III

Has there been any timeline on when compatibility with Android and Windows is being released?

JeffBaker4
New Contributor II

Wondering the same thing . . . . 

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

We are targeting the end of the year for an Android release. Windows is still in discussion. We are looking at interest in the Windows platform. Email us at esriApps4Windows10@esri.com and provide details on your plans for using Collector on Windows.

BHamada_GIS
New Contributor

Is there the ability or will this have the ability to show existing attachments that can be clicked/viewed for a particular feature when selected in Collector?  The classic version had this ability but no longer seeing it with the Beta version.  We use this feature extensively to view previous Hazmat documents associated with a facility being inspected.  

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Since you are using the Collector Beta, could you please post in the forum of the Collector Early Adopter community? That way the right people from the team see it, as well as other beta participants who might be experiencing similar things. Thanks!

About the Author
I am the Group Product Engineering Lead for our Field Apps team at Esri. I work with an amazing team building out our field solutions. Please feel free to ask me anything about ArcGIS Field Maps, Workforce, and Navigator.