WebScene with "original" size texture fails to load

11-03-2013 10:55 PM
JussiViinikka1
New Contributor
Hey,

I´m trying to create a webscene of a rather large geographic area and anything less than "original size" for the satellitephoto which works as the terrain texture is too low quality. However when I try to open a webscene created with the original size texture the scene fails to load and gives me this instead:

46ms: GL detect: WebGL 1.0 (OpenGL ES 2.0 Chromium) More
46ms: Loading scene file : /Sibbesborg/models/webscene/sibbe_hires.3ws
60ms: Fallback to custom unzip on arraybuffer and custom streamParser
1250ms: Downloading: 100% (9.79 of 9.79 MB)
1259ms: Requested gzipped data, got gzipped data
1260ms: Using custom unzip and streamparser on arraybuffer
14814ms: Reading: 99% (41.53 of 42.16 MB)
14875ms: Invalid Web Scene data clarinet parser error in /Sibbesborg/models/webscene/sibbe_hires.3ws: Error: Malformed object key should start with " Line: 296824 Column: 2 Char: }
14876ms: Invalid Web Scene data clarinet parser error in /Sibbesborg/models/webscene/sibbe_hires.3ws: Error: Malformed object key should start with " Line: 296825 Column: 1 Char: ,

Any idea whats wrong and how to fix it? The size of the WebScene itself seems reasonable so I dont think thats an issue. Just it seems to get corrupted somehow.

-Jussi
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndreasUlmer
Esri Contributor
Hi Jussi

is your image in a non-supported format (only png and jpg are)?

http://cehelp.esri.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.procedural.cityengine.help/html/manual/export/expor...

best
Andreas
0 Kudos
JussiViinikka1
New Contributor
The texture is JPG (the terrain height map though is TIF).
0 Kudos
JussiViinikka1
New Contributor
Hi,

I tried with PNG too but it gives me the same error (if the option is on "original size"). Might there be somekind of limit to size of the texture? Resolutionwise or otherwise.

-Jussi
0 Kudos
AndreasUlmer
Esri Contributor
yes, max texture res is limited by the graphics hardware. what's your images resolution?
recent dedicated graphics cards often limit at 8k x 8k, less powerful cards might limit earlier. however the parse error you sent does not imply a problem with the graphics hardware, parser error kicks in before the data is pushed to the graphics card.

Is there a chance to send us the problematic data so we can track the problem down?
ideally we'd get the 3ws and the source data (image only?). PM me if you can't share publicly.

thnx
Andreas
0 Kudos
JussiViinikka1
New Contributor
Okay, sent you a message
0 Kudos
JussiViinikka1
New Contributor
Hello Andreas,

Did you get my message?
0 Kudos
AndreasUlmer
Esri Contributor
Hi Jussi

turns out the issue is the same as this one:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/95052-Invalid-Web-Scene-(3ws)-data?p=340792#post340792

It's not related to the image, but to a faulty bounding box calculation in CityEngine 2012. Resetting the global offset in the export dialog misc options fixes it for me.

best
Andreas
0 Kudos
JussiViinikka1
New Contributor
Hey,

I keep getting the same problem. If the texture size is set to original it fails to load the scene no matter what the offset settings are.

If the texture size is on "high" it works the best with "reset+center" in the offset settings.
With only "reset" (so that offset is 0 for all dimensions) theres a flickering problem once the scene loads. The window flickers between black and white with occasional views of the model...

But yeah, with "original" size it wont load no matter what. I didnt see any infinity values, just either 0 (reset) or bunch of big numbers (reset+center).

-Jussi
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
what's the original size resolution ?
what file format ?

m.
0 Kudos