Water/Lake Rule

05-27-2013 06:39 AM
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
Hi all,

Was just wondering how this lake/hydro rule was created found in this example: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=cc457068075445f5adf585273dc9a82f

thanks,
Devon
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
I found this thread:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/82817-Water-Effect-in-cityengine?p=292030#post292030

However, I'm not entirely sure what the "__water" is reffering to. Is that an attribute field? name of mesh, texture or a terrain?

Can anyone clarify this process?

Thanks,
Devon
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
By adding "__water" to the name of a static shape (or to a layer name), the shape (or all shapes on the layer), will use the water shader in the web scene.

Or to add web scene water effect to models created in CGA, set the material in the following pattern:
set(material.name, "<yourwatermaterialname>__waterparams_<wavesize>_<wavespeed>")
Where <yourwatermaterialname> is your arbitrary material name,
and <wavesize> and <wavespeed> are values.

Here's an actual example:
set(material.name, "myh2o__waterparams_2_5")

One current restriction:
Avoid params with more than one number after the dot (e.g. don't set "waterparams_5.50_10.21" - use 5.5_10.2 instead)

Let us know how it goes,
Chris
0 Kudos
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. I created a mesh from the "polygon shape creation", traced it on top of a base layer. When exported I added in "__water" to the layer group of the mesh. No luck...does it have to be a shape file? See attached photo.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Easy fix - you need to rename the layer in the Inspector window, while the layer is selected in the Scene Window. So in the Scene window, click your layer, then look in the top of the Inspector for the layer name and add "__water" there. See image attached.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24748[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
ahhh thanks a million. voila, Downtown Edmonton. just need elevation bit map, orthophoto and additional buildings :). a work in progress!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Looks good - post a final here when you are done!

Chris
0 Kudos
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
Will do 🙂
0 Kudos
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
In order to create the water in the web viewer, when exporting is it required to have the exported content set to : export models if generatable, esle export shapes?
0 Kudos
DevonJenkins
Occasional Contributor
Hi Chris,

forgot to add a screen shot. Nothing super fancy, more or less completed. I like to think webscenes are never really finsihed...just published.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Devon
0 Kudos