Unreal model in a story map

06-29-2022 01:53 AM
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I am not working with CityEngine but got this request from designers who starting to see the opportunities to integrate GIS and BIM. 

With the ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unreal Engine it is possible to add data from ArcGIS Online into an Unreal model. but is it also possible to have an Unreal model published in ArcGIS Online and embedding it into a storymap? I read that is possible to import .FBX file into CityEngine but is this done easy?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DevinLavigne
Occasional Contributor III

Yes. Very easy to import and incorporate FBX files.

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn

thanks, I will dive into CE and encounter all ups and downs 🙂

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

I don't know the details of your workflow but it might be the case that you don't need Unreal Engine at all for this

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn

@JonasObertuefer Sorry for the late reply. I managed to import fbx files into CE and no for the Unreal Engine.

While it is easy in ArcGIS Pro to combine several data sets correctly georeferenced, working with CE involves a lot of challenges with combining and georeferencing data sets . Are there some blogs or other learning material about this because I could not find it yet.

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi again @Stefan_Thorn,

In general CityEngine works in a certain scene coordinate system, so the recommended workflow is to correctly georeference the different data before bringing it into CityEngine e.g. in ArcGIS Pro (as you mentioned)

Inside CityEngine you currently have the following options:

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Jonas

0 Kudos