Translate face

12-16-2011 08:21 AM
MagnusAndersson
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm struggling with what seems to be a very basic task. My goal is to achieve a split/translate operation resulting in the bottom model of the attached image. However, splitting and moving using split and comp methods gives me the upper result. Any ideas how to keep edges connected while translating a face?

Any hints much appreciated!

/Magnus
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

the video mentioned in this thread here may help you for starters ..

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/44417-CGA-Understanding-the-concept-of-the-scope

let me know if you have more questions !
0 Kudos
MagnusAndersson
New Contributor

the video mentioned in this thread here may help you for starters ..

Thank you for the video Matthias, it gave me some new hints about things, very useful. However, I can't seem to get how to solve my problem with my new knowledge. Can you be any more specific about how to keep the edges together when translating the middle face?

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

glad this got you further.

there are a few possible issues here.

- if your 'object' is an inserted asset, then you would want to translate BEFORE a comp(f) because the object then is still 1 mesh. after a comp(f), you get n objects.

- depending on the each shape's normal and scope, using a translate may move the shapes in different directions, which you may want or may avoid.

if you just want to move vertically up, you could also just add a 'alignScopeToAxes(y)'.

best is you play a little with a simple cube, a comp(f), the 'alignScopeTo' and (maybe) also the reverseNormals operations to drive the direction of any translations.
0 Kudos
MagnusAndersson
New Contributor

- if your 'object' is an inserted asset, then you would want to translate BEFORE a comp(f) because the object then is still 1 mesh. after a comp(f), you get n objects.

Thanks again for trying to help me Matthias!

I'll try to narrow my problem down. Basically, the only thing I want to do is the following:

split(v, unitSpace, 0)
  {
   '0.2 : A. |   
   '0.6 : B. |
   '0.2 : C.   
  }

2. Translate the middle face (B) in Y-direction while still keeping it's shared edges attached, resulting in the two outer faces (A, C) leaning towards the middle face. The wanted behavior is that of an 3d-modelling application, when you select a face and translates it, it keeps its edges connected.

Is this doable in CityEngine?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi Magnus ..

ah, I know what you want, basically moving components like vertices or edges.

sadly, this is not (yet) possible. in CGA, you can either split or move, but there's currently no way to 'select' a part of the shape and transform it.

( I have wished for such a feature before too. )

what we can do right now is : put it to the ideas !

https://c.na1.visual.force.com/apex/ideaList?c=09a300000004xET&category=Esri+CityEngine
0 Kudos
MagnusAndersson
New Contributor

sadly, this is not (yet) possible.

OK, not much for me to do then. Appreciate your effort to help me!
0 Kudos