The CityEngine Team would like to get your feedback: Scenarios

01-06-2021 04:56 AM
ChristianIten
Esri Contributor

Dear Community

For our upcoming release, we would like to improve and extend the existing scenario capabilities in CityEngine.

Therefore we would like to know from you: 

Do you have use cases for sharing objects across multiple scenarios? (apart from using the scenario "default objects" for e.g. the scene backdrop) If yes, what would they be?

Do you have general feedback about CE's scenario capabilities? What do you like, where do you see room for improvement?

Thank you for taking the time and participating in our design process!

Wishing you all the best for 2021

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well first I thank this spectacular invitation, I still have no projects carried out, because I am studying Environmental Management, I would like to carry out sewage control maps in cities, including hydrography for monitoring covid-19 in the 3D viewing version, including the culverts of cities. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Chris_ce_team
New Contributor

Dear Community

First of all thanks Dominique for your heads up.

I interpret the missing feedback as a sign that you don't have use cases for the existing functionality of sharing objects across scenarios. 

Please let me know in case my assumption is wrong.

Thanks anyway of looking into this post!

Christian

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think scenarios are a key feature of this program and would be glad to see any upgrades that extend there functionality further.  The reporting abilities of CityEngine combined with scenarios makes it a very powerful tool. 

I noted some of my comments about scenarios in another post but here they are again.  The street lines and nodes can be toggled to multiple scenarios but there is some underlying problems with the way it is implemented.  Let's say that I want a street segment to be available to all scenarios, and that segment is connected to another segment that is going to be based on different scenarios.  When I get to the street segment where I need different scenarios and connect them back to the all scenarios segment, things don't behave quite the way I would hope.  Same goes for trying to use nodes for different scenarios.  Try to make a street intersection that is available to multiple scenarios and connect them with segments from individual scenarios and you'll see what I mean.   Because of this,  I just find it easier to copy the whole street network for each scenario.   

But if this behaved more expectedly,  I could save time and computer memory by working on segments of the street that would be the same for multiple scenarios all at once.  And the tweaks that are made to make them look better over time would apply to them all.

On my personal CityEngine wish list, I would rate this a medium priority. 

Also, I particularly like how well CityEngine is doing with its exporting capabilities!  I imagine keeping up with all those programs is a hassle. 

For my personal high priority item, I would really like to see a "rounded corners" or bevel ability/code.  It would be even better if we could pick the faces that get beveled, either by comp selection, or maybe like a shape modeling tool.  I think this would help with many different aspects of design - from softer looking buildings and edges, to easier creation of common building and parking lot shapes, and more.

DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

Brian hit the nail on the head with my concerns with scenarios. For this reason I typically create separate layers for street networks for each scenario. You can see this in the demonstration animation provided here. 
That said I understand, Streets generally need reworking in CE, and it has been on the to do list for a long time. 

Scenarios generally perform well for demos and switch between views of a large number of complex layers, they might not need to do more than that. Their export functionality respects key aspects of interest for presentation and the creation of final deliverables. 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
Chris_ce_team
New Contributor

thx for the feedback

0 Kudos
Chris_ce_team
New Contributor

Hi Brian 

Thanks for the feedback. For now there is just the arc drawing tool for rounded corners. cga:bevel edges has been discussed earlier in the team, thx for the signal.

0 Kudos