texture land parcels

Jump to solution
08-05-2012 02:30 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Right, here's one question which might have a simple answer I just can't see it at the moment. So why when I project a texture or colour onto a land parcel does it not fully project? See the image for a better explination. They're mean't to be one consistant colour.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
2 possible traps :

1]
1 of the 2 polygons you see is the SHAPE. Show/Hide the shapes in the viewport (F11)

2]
you have 2 leaf nodes in your code. that would mean you have one colored and 1 non-colored polygon in your model.

example for 2]
Lot -->     A.     color(1,0,0)     B.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
2 possible traps :

1]
1 of the 2 polygons you see is the SHAPE. Show/Hide the shapes in the viewport (F11)

2]
you have 2 leaf nodes in your code. that would mean you have one colored and 1 non-colored polygon in your model.

example for 2]
Lot -->     A.     color(1,0,0)     B.
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi
I have another question related to this now, is there a way to rank layers so that one texture is always seen above another?

The reason I ask is that I have a series of shapefiles I've brought in from ArcGIS along with an aerial image for the textured terrain. Now I'd like all the shapefiles to be seen above the textured terrain, so that it is only visable where there is no other data ontop. I also have things such as railway lines crossing overtop of roads and cycleways crossing over parks etc. Unfortunately at the moment a lot of the conflicting textures seem to get lost so that I can only see some of them, ie the elevated texture layer pokes through the railway line or cycle path etc.

So it'd be amazing if there was a way to have more control with this so that you could give a weight or rank value to always have the top layer visible, and if that doesn't exist have the second layer etc...

I've added a couple of snapshots to show what I mean, the first involves the railway tracks disappearing below the terrain level while the second is of a driveway and grass area I've attempted to insert above the terrain layer which seem to be conflicting with each other.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
not perfectly would aligning the terrain to the shapes help you ? but you have that option.

just select all the shapes, then go to the Layer menu > Align Terrain to Shapes

let me know ..

matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Okay so I tried the aligning shapes to terrain which worked to a degree, it sorted out my railway tracks at least, but I am noticing another issue on the edges of my map shown in the attached image. Some parts of the terrain image show big gullies in the map which certainly do not come from the DEM model used (both the texture and terrain layers are the exact same size and area specifications etc) so it causes all sorts of issues with my buildings etc in that area!

Any suggestions there? And thanks for all your help by the way!!! 🙂
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hey !

no, that seems to be an alignment problem. try to select only valid shapes for the alignment process. If there's hidden shapes at zero height and you have no selection, this may cause some issue. But I don't know your scene, so there could be some issues.

maybe the manual gives you a few more inputs on this .. 🙂

cheers !

matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Well after another indepth look at the manual and a bit of a play around I think I have a lot better understanding of how this all works. I had a few parcels that were extending beyond my terrain map so when I aligned terrain to these the terrain got the big gorges. Just had to either delete those shapes or move them fully onto my terrain map to fix all this so now they're sitting quite happily there! 😄
Thanks!
0 Kudos
LoringTupper
New Contributor
Quick question: what "manual" are you referring to? Is there a manual for CityEngine or even better, specifically for CGA?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

Yes, there is a Manual and the CGA Reference. Press F1 .. 🙂

Watch also the tutorial vids here :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/64843-CityEngine-Collection-RESOURCES-FAQ-HELP

Cheers !

Matt
0 Kudos