Road is curved but shape is straight? also double road issue?

Jump to solution
10-12-2012 01:26 PM
JonNeilon
New Contributor
I imported road data to CityEngine and I have found many roads that should be straight are curved. The shape shows it as straight but when generated it shows it curved? Changing the precision to 0 makes it straight again. Any suggestions?

Another issue which could be related to the data that I have. On a major roads it shows two shapes for the roads which I need to make one large road. Is there a way to merge road lines together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18399[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
Jon
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

The creation of streets and setting of their tangents is working entirely different than the Cleanup Tool.

Yes, the Cleanup Tool takes the width of streets into account for some actions, but this is not the case currently for the Dynamic City Layouts system.

The only additional thing you can do is change the node type to 'Junction' instead of the default 'Crossing', which creates the shapes continuously along the wider street, but the tangents must be set manually.

The thing you need is currently just not possible... 😞

But we've noted your wish, so we're going to think about this.

Kind regards !

matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Did you see the Manual in the Help Menu (F1) ? There's all details on Street Network and Cleanup of streets. CityEngine has a BIG manual, so really take your time to browse through all topics for a good overview.

Additionally, check the tutorial videos via this link :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/64843-CityEngine-Collection-RESOURCES-FAQ-HELP

There's 2 reasons why Streets are getting curved in CityEngine 2011 and 2012 :
1] the user sets them curved
2] the graphs are connected in a very small angle. thus, the system tries to create a minimal angle which is bigger to prevent bad local shapes to be created. In your case, the shapes overlap the other street next to it, but this can not be globally controlled. for this, you'll need to quickly edit the tangents with the Edit Curves Tool ( 'c' key).

Let me know if you have more questions !

Matt
0 Kudos
JonNeilon
New Contributor
Thanks. I looked under here CityEngine Help > Manual > Shapes > Creating Shapes from Graph Networks
I set the shape to straight and it still has the same issue. I tried editing the tangent but its straight. This is only fixed when I set the precision to 0.

Edit1: The tangent on the adjacent road is causing the problem. Is there a way to make this work without manually changing all the intersections?

Is there a way to merge the double road? or do I need to find a better osm map?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Better search the Manual under:
Manual > Street Networks (then all subtopics)

StreetNetworks create Dynamic Shapes, thus checking the Shapes documentation is not the perfect place.

You can not automatically 'clean' all tangents in the way you want. There's an infinity of possibilities to do that, thus it's not efficient to try to caltulate this. I've had a quick chat with the developer. The only 'quite efficient' way to get rid of such overlaps would be setting the minimum angle automatted according to my last post, but this would need to be implemented. I'll have to see whether this will get included in the roadmap.

For now, you'll have to clean that manually.

You can merge double roads by using large radii in the cleanup tool. The docs may enlighten you .. 🙂

Check :
Manual > Street Networks > Cleanup Graph

Cheers !
0 Kudos
JonNeilon
New Contributor
Thanks,
When the dynamic graph is set to straight it will generate a curved street based on the smaller street beside. I suppose there is a rule giving priority to the small road beside to adjust the tangents to make it fit. Is there a way to give priority to the larger street? It is mentioned in the help that when merging nodes that larger roads take priority.... I suppose this in is not the case for this issue.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

The creation of streets and setting of their tangents is working entirely different than the Cleanup Tool.

Yes, the Cleanup Tool takes the width of streets into account for some actions, but this is not the case currently for the Dynamic City Layouts system.

The only additional thing you can do is change the node type to 'Junction' instead of the default 'Crossing', which creates the shapes continuously along the wider street, but the tangents must be set manually.

The thing you need is currently just not possible... 😞

But we've noted your wish, so we're going to think about this.

Kind regards !

matt
0 Kudos
JonNeilon
New Contributor
Thanks again.
0 Kudos