Per-texture transformations not exported from CityEngine

10-14-2019 01:15 AM
JackCurran
New Contributor III

Hi,

I've been working with the Local Government 3D Basemap in ArcPro and have used it create a gdb which I have subsequently imported into CityEngine. I have created LOD3 buildings, and the textures display fine in CityEngine. However, when I export it to FBX and import it into 3ds Max, the textures are distorted and/or repeated a large amount. I assume this is because per-texture transformations aren't being carried across, which is frustrating as the documentation suggests this does work for Maya (but 3ds Max is mysteriously not mentioned).

Does anyone know a way around this issue? I have tried exporting the FBX with various options to no avail, and I can't seem to access the per-texture transformations in CityEngine as they appear to be controlled by the Local Government 3D Basemap rule package.

I have included before and after images below to demonstrate the issue I'm facing. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Jack

(note that the texture is showing in the above image - it just looks grey because the texture is repeated massively so appears tiny!)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JackCurran
New Contributor III

Hey, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, as it is still bugging me...

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
KennethLindhardt1
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry, no idea here, have your tried the same with obj and Collada? Or try and see if the FBX is working with materials in CE, when you import it again, that could be a good way to check if it's the export or the system you are importing it to. FBX stores the materials in the same folder as the FBX file. 

Did you center the location before export?

Just some thoughts, don't know if it will help, I've never experienced similar..

0 Kudos
AlanKlys
Occasional Contributor

I can't test your rulefile obviously, so I tried a quick test exporting some building footprints that are mapped with an aerial image - pretty standard stuff.

I get a one to one match between CE view and OBJ, FBX and Collada.

(this is with Lightwave as I don't have MAX on this machine - but can test it tomorrow)  

As Kenneth mentioned, try centering the model, plus try using "Only write first layer of UV's" perhaps ?

Autodesk developed / owns the FBX format so I find it hard to fathom that it wouldn't work properly with MAX.  

0 Kudos
JackCurran
New Contributor III

Sorry Alan - very slow to respond to your comment! But it's definitely Max-related. I too find it hard to believe this wouldn't be available. I think the example you show is different to my scenario, as the Local Government 3D Basemap rule package is dictating the texture coordinates per facade in my scenario, rather than one image blanketed over multiple geometries.

0 Kudos