Opinion for Castle Rule

10-02-2014 02:26 AM
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I need a sincerely opinion regarding a cga. rule for making this castle (see picture below). I do have some knowledge in creating buildings with cga. rule but I had never done something with this level of detail.

Can someone help me with some tips or with a basic rule for creating this, please?

Any help is very useful !!

Thank you !!

PELISOR CASTLE, SINAIA, ROMANIA -->

48857179.jpg

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

Hey !

Honestly, that's not a taks for CGA. or only parts of it.

I'd model this the 'classic' way, in Maya or an other similar 3D tool.

Let me know if you need more info ..

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

----------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited
matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

I understand.

Well then please let me know of some softwares that will be helpful and also, let`s say, user friendly like easy to learn and do this...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

well, how far do you want to go with that model ?

what usage ?

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

Garsdale Design Limited

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

I want that model because a have to do a city scene. ( And let`s say that I need the LOD to be minimum 70% realistic).

The town I have to do in CE it`s called "Sinaia" and there are 2 castles named : "Peleș" and "Pelișor". I found the first one in SU 3dwarehouse( without texture, but I think it`s ok) and I need to have the second one too. Also the houses on that town I will have to model( but I don`t think for houses it will be that hard, let`s say with a high LOD).

P.S. - I thought a lot and I am willing to learn and hopefully master a soft like Maya and after that integrate with CE/GIS.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

Hey !

Well, if you like easy software, you may want to have a look at SketchUp. But if the model does not need to be very precise (more lookalike), you may also use CityEngine's shape creation tools.

If you go '70% realistic', I think the fastest way may be SketchUp, if you also have to learn the tool. But if in future you do more visualization work and modeling, a more powerful tool may make sense. I personally like Maya, but an other option that has good modeling functionality is 'Modo'.

I know many 3D tools, so feel free to ask if you have more questions..

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

Garsdale Design Limited

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Sincerely, I do not prefer SketchUp ( I feel like I do not have a control of what I`m doing). I want to learn Maya. Hard work and time will result in a lot of progress I`m sure.

Thank you for the support and I`m sure I will have a lot of questions !

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matthias,

I have a problem importing a collada file from SU to Maya. Some textures are missing and I cannot replace them in Maya.(In Hypershader-> chose picture from file). I had a model and textured it in SU and I want the same model to look the same with the same textures in Maya, but some of them are missing.

I want the model to look the same in Maya and CE as in SU, but I cannot do this.

Can you give me an address to send you the SU project and a rar with dae. files?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae
Occasional Contributor

Also look at this error: I have assigned a texture to an object and in maya another texture is diplayed instead of the one chosen by me. I really need help.

I have attached a print.

THanks!!

asasd.jpg

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler

Hi,

I'm quite busy and cannot spend a huge amount of time debugging stuff.. sorry.

It's a bit tricky to bring files from SketchUp to both Maya and CityEngine. In theory, this should be no hassle, but standards like Collada are interpreted differently, thus this can result in issues.

CityEngine tries to follow the standards as closely as possible (they're called standards ..).

Maybe send a few files to the mail address below.

Before diving into Maya, watch a couple of texturing videos and familiarize yourself with the hotbox and the navigation.

Ok ?

matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

---------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

0 Kudos