Maximum size of texture files?

10-17-2012 02:37 AM
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
Is there a maximum size of texture files to be accepted by CityEngine? In ArcMap 10.1, I create a new basemap marked "Streets" and export it to an image file and write a world file. When I try to import the image file to CityEngine 2012 using "Texture Import", I get a message saying "You are importing a large image. Downscaling of your image file in your source application is recommended (width and height less than 4000 pixels." How can I export an image file from ArcMap that is the maximum width and height accepted by CityEngine?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

First, this thread gives you some more insight in the topic:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/54072-textures-raster-files-concepts-in-CityEngine-ArcGIS

For the down-res process itself, use the 'Resample' GP Tool (ArcToolbox > Data Management > Raster > Raster Processing)

(Thanks to J. Swain for this input)

Let me know if this helps !

Matt
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you would like a more interactive display of the rows and columns, you can also use the Export Data Dialogue that will display the number or rows and columns as you modify the cell size or allow you to input them directly and see the cell size created.  There is some art to this as simply modifying the one value may not create a raster that you want to use and in this case it may be desirable to Clip the raster down.

Matthias ROCKS!!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
no, no, JEFF rocks ! :cool:
0 Kudos
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
I found out that when I export the basemap to an image file in ArcGIS, I can set the resolution to 192 dpi which kept the image size under 4000 pixels. When I import the image file into CityEngine, I have to use "RAW data in meters" option. I found out that Bing Maps Aerail gives me the best images.
0 Kudos