Lat/Long in Web Scene

01-19-2014 11:41 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: miglanisomil

Hello,

I am looking for a way to fetch the latitude longitude of a point through the web scene just like in city engine. Now, I know the extent of the scene in Lat/Long and the extent of the scene in the scene coordinate system (Cartesian). One way is to interpolate/extrapolate between the two using the extents, but this is a bit complicated. Is there a way to directly get the Lat/Long value of a point in the web scene? Or an easier way to do this? any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,
Somil Miglani
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

Hi,

No, bad news, this is not possible with the WebViewer at this point in time.

As the name implies, it's a viewer of 3d geometries, so the actual georeferencing data is not needed for this, thus dropped to save resources.

Ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: miglanisomil

Hello Matthias,

Thanks for the reply. Too bad.

Okay!
Somil
0 Kudos
AlexandruVasile2
New Contributor II

Is it possible to get the lat/long of a scene inside CE? (not in the web scene)

I need to know the lat/long of the corners of the Terrain

I see the x and z offsets, but i have no idea how to convert them to lat/long.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Alexandro Vasile

The corners of the terrain are given in the projected scene coordinate system you have set in the your CityEngine scene.

CE help on: Scene Coordinate System 

A quick way to show lat/long coordinates of the Terrain corner would be:

1. Set the  View Coordinate System  to Long/Lat [decimal degrees]
  2. Set the camera to top
  3. Zoom into the corner of the terrain that correspondents to the x and z offset point
  4. Write down the displayed lat/long values

0 Kudos
AlexandruVasile2
New Contributor II

Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for the response

This is very helpful (really what i needed). But I still don't get the relation between the lat/long and the x/z-offsets.

Also, is there a way to extract them (not writing them down manually)? I found the python function getPosition, but it returns the x,y,z.

Thanks and have an amazing day

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

Last time I tried to get the coordinates (of building polygons) in lat/long I ended up writing my own coordinate transformation in Python. The formulas depend on the current and target coordinate system, but you should be able to google up the right formulas. A little warning, it's not going to be as simple as x2 =x1*2+20 

0 Kudos
AlexandruVasile2
New Contributor II

In that case, I'll stick to writing it manually

thanks

0 Kudos