Is there a CGA rule to represent water level increase and decrease?

02-05-2018 10:25 AM
StanleyLebrun1
New Contributor

Two weeks ago, someone asked how to represent water feature in CE and I found the answer that was given very helpful. However, I would like to take the question further. If I have elevation data of a valley where I have a river, is there a CGA rule that will allow me to represent the dept of my water feather? Will that same CGA rule allow me to represent  increase and decrease in water level?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Stanley

If I understood correctly. You need to create an animation of water level? If yes, I don´t think so. City engine doesn´t support animations.

But you can create two layers of the water level and put together in the same group on ViewPort like:

River.WaterLevel1

River.WaterLevel2

In Webscene you will see one Layer called River with two WaterLevels and the user can choose one to see.

Here a sample using CGA to represent Flood Mapping 3D Flood Mapping of London using CityEngine – GeoPlanIT 

0 Kudos
StanleyLebrun1
New Contributor

Hi Luiz,

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. I find the 3D Flood Mapping of London to be exactly what I am looking for. CityEngine is new to me and I am using the software to aid me in my Master thesis project which is to do a 3D reconstruction of the ancient city of Hisban in Jordan. I am learning about CGA rules and rapid generation of features in CityEngine which is useful for my project. In regard to your answer and the example you shared with me, is there a tutorial that could walk me through the step by step process where I could learn to create my water feature? 

Thank you again for all the help.

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Stanley

I don´t know if exist a tutorial for it, to apply the Water Effect check my answer here How can I represent water in CityEngine? 

Basically all my features were created on ArcGIS then imported on CityEngine. Building Footprints, Streets and Water (just a polygon feature to represent one Lake), everything with Z-value enabled, but you can create polygon on CityEngine, it´s the same process. Here my project (isn´t the final version http://bit.ly/2EbNINM )

In your case, I think will be two river´s features (polygons) Low-Level (ground) and High-Level(Flood) for example.

Feel free to ask-me anytime.

0 Kudos