Importing obj/dae from Sketchup

10-11-2012 02:11 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
So I've been attempting to import some models into the new CityEngine 2012.1 from Sketchup and have been running into some issues.

1) Firstly, when I import as an obj file it looses all my textures.
2) When I bring it in as a collada dae it maintains most of the textures (although the glass seems to come out wrong) but it also has all the excess lines from sketchup which I don't really want in my model. (Note: I am not bringing the models in as static because I want to be able to modify part, does this make a difference?)
3) Had another issue with collada in that I brought a model through which was fairly large but as soon as I imported it, my cityEngine closed. It did this twice so I'm really not sure what was wrong with that import. When I reexported it as a smaller model from Sketchup and imported it it seemed to work, is there a file limit on imports or something?
4) Also when I imported two models that I'd exported from Sketchup seperately into CityEngine the buildings were imported at different heights, why was this?
5) Also am still having issues with importing them at the correct projection.

Thanks! 🙂

Joanne
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
New query as well (sorry about all the questions!)

So When I import as collada dae from sketchup why are not all my textures included? Check out the image attached. Basically this building should have all the roof the same texture (this is what it is in sketchup) but as you can see when it's imported some of the roof's turn up blank! how can I fix this?

thanks!!!

A few posts above (from 10-15-2012 11:11 AM), I had written in 1] :

If CE does not find the texture, either the texture is actually missing or the file path to it is wrong.

Use the standard file navigation conventions :
Examples:
images/myTexture.jpg --> CE will search the image in the images folder.
images/myFolder/myTexture.jpg --> CE will search the image in images/myFolder.

I assume this is the issue, so please double check both the paths and if the textures really are there. CE does not search further than that given path. Subfolders are NOT checked.

If you open a COLLADA file in a text editor and search for the file paths, you can also see this:
../myFolder/myTexture.jpg

'..' means go up one directory, then go to the folder called 'myFolder' to find the file. That structure would be used if the collada file is in 1 folder and it's textures in an other. Adapt all those paths according to your file structure if CE does not find them.

TIP :
'Search and Replace' works also over multiple files with some text editors. E.g. with the free tool called 'NotePad++' ( http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ ) , you can search and replace texts in folders and subfolders, editing 100s of files if needed !

Did you play with this input ? If textures are missing, then I assume in about 95% of the cases that simply the texture path inside the Collada file is wrong.

Let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
ScottFujikawa
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have also imported KMZ files of buildings that I have created in Sketchup and have occasionally experienced similar results in CE. I discovered that some of my roof surfaces were reversed, so the textures were underneath. Selecting and reversing some of the roof polygons would reveal the textures.

Regards,
Scott
0 Kudos