Imported objects shiny

2060
4
06-03-2013 11:01 PM
AlexanderSchmidt
New Contributor II
Hi all!
I created a simple plant pot in max to put it in front of a window. Exported it to .dae using OpenCOLLADA (the original dae export of max is not shown in CE at all) and imported it into CE with the result that the uvMaps where not correctly imported/exported. So I used Blender in to import and export dae again and it worked.

Now I have all textures and in CE but if I activate backface culling one side is gone (I checked it in both blender and max and it the 2 faced option is marked in both textures) and the textures which use a alpha channel for transperancy are shiny.

Is it possible to make the plants not that shiny?Can I get the textures two faced? Is there an easier way to export it out of Max?

Thank you!
Alex
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor II
Hi !

The fact that it is shiny shows that CE seems to interpret shininess inverted. 0 and 1 are inverted.

But it could also be that the Max Exporter writes that information wrong into the file.

Were you able to track this down further ?

Matt
0 Kudos
AlexanderSchmidt
New Contributor II
Hi Matt!
Thank you for your answer! I would like to track that down but I miss the time.

The next asset I tried to export out of 3ds Max lost completely the uv-mapping coordinates and even with the workaround using Blender it didn't work at all. There was no reason for that. So I had to change the workflow.

I tried the Wavefront obj exporter. The geometry was exported succesful but the texture was missing. Obviously it was either a problem with my texture or with the exporter. I looked for the transparancy in the material file and it was set to 0 which is interpreted by CE as completely transparent. Therefore I changed the value and everything was fine except the textures where darker. After another look in the materal file that was fixed too.

I'm a little bit disappointed that nothing works directly without manipulating the asset settings again but it works finally :)
Luckily you just have to do it once with your assets and not over and over again.

We looked shortly at the CE importer for COLLADA is it possible that dae files created by new exporters can't be interpreted successfully by your importer from 2006? We found that in the file com.procedural.formats.dae_1.0.0.201209130547.jar.

Alex
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor II
I know it is really annoying, all those format wars and all the different interpretations by the different software packages. Really frustrating. We're trying to stick to the format standards for the assets ( dae / obj ), but it seems others do not care so much about that (e.g. inverting values). Thus, importing stuff into CE and going back to the target app sometimes is a pita. Actually not sometimes, every time.

We've been working on the collada importer recently, so that should not be an issue.

Matt
0 Kudos
AlexanderSchmidt
New Contributor II
Thanks Matt!

We are working here with so many formats and it is always rough :) But when you have to figure out a new workflow with unknown file types again then its worse because nobody can actually help you.

Good news that you are working on the Collada importer because the exporter works just fine :)

Alex
0 Kudos