Import dxf - unable to see in project tree, unable to import?

11-03-2014 12:17 PM
shawnallen
New Contributor

3D SME, new to CE 2014.

Am trying to import a simple dxf file into CE and have tried the wizard (File >> Import >> Import Src >> DXF Import >>)

Browse to file (r12 dxf). Options on = Run Graph Cleanup and Create Street/Intersection Shapes.

Finish > does nothing, apparently.

When I click Next, the Cleanup Graph dialog shows, but the only options available here are Back and Cancel.

Changing the merge distances does not activate next or finish.

So no, I have not worked through the learning tutorial, because the videos do not seem to match the CE version I have, and as you can tell, I am having problems with a simple import.

Also have tried file drag-n-drop from windows to CE, but that doesn't work at all - the only option is to cancel.

I can't tell if the dxf should be able to be imported into the streetnetwork layer, or some other layer (data??).  Pointers to getting this working will be appreciated! 

Thx

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Shawn,

In your 2nd image (first page of the Import dialog), there are no layers listed in the Source File window. This indicates CityEngine is not seeing any data to import. Normally the layers from DXF file will be in that window. I tried opening the DXF in both CAD and Rhino. Both had errors. So check your DXF file. Your goal is to get something to show up in the Source File window of the DXF Import dialog.

Let us know if this solves the problem! 

Chris

0 Kudos
shawnallen
New Contributor

Thanks Chris.  The file only contains entity data, I will add a layer and see what happens.

Thx

0 Kudos
shawnallen
New Contributor

OK, I can see now that nothing really likes that original dxf file.  For a sanity check I found a dxf file that contains layers, and when imported, I get two (?Layers) in the project tree. 

Is there any limitation on the DXF version?

Thx

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been using DXF version 2004 Lines and not having problems. Usually compatibility problems arise with newer versions, so I went back in time. You can tell it which version to export to if you have the original DWG (or wherever the file came from).

Chris

0 Kudos
shawnallen
New Contributor

OK - sounds like it's an issue with my source file.

CE needs the dxf to be more than just the ENTITIES section of the file, and it's best if the file is a valid dxf according to other applications.  Need a layer present in the file.

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
shawnallen
New Contributor

And it appears that 3DFACE is an unsupported entity

0 Kudos