How to import 3D models properly from Revit to CityEngine?

Jump to solution
06-06-2022 11:09 AM
yjiang
by
New Contributor II

I am using CityEngine 2020.1.0.

And, I am trying to import a building model from Revit to CityEngine.

I realize I could use FBX format or OBJ format. However, when I try to use OBJ format, the file size that export from Revit is too big. The file is 10GB. And When I try to load the OBJ file into the City Engine. The software would become not responding. I waited for an hour and it remains not responding.

So, I change the method. I used the FBX format. The model imported successfully. But the model is pure white without any material or color attributes.

I am wondering, how can I import the model from Revit to CityEngine correctly? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

If/when you upgrade to latest version of CityEngine you can import IFC files as there is no direct read of Revit files. Alternatively you can import your Revit file in ArcGIS Pro, convert it/export to multipatch feature class in your file geodatabase and then use in CityEngine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

If/when you upgrade to latest version of CityEngine you can import IFC files as there is no direct read of Revit files. Alternatively you can import your Revit file in ArcGIS Pro, convert it/export to multipatch feature class in your file geodatabase and then use in CityEngine.

0 Kudos
yjiang
by
New Contributor II

Seems like using ArcGIS Pro is the better solution here. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos