How to export Arcsene heightmap and 3d buildings to cityengine

12-04-2013 07:26 AM
sansaoclemente
New Contributor
Hello everyone, I am a new user of ArcGIS products, and i'm from Portugal.
I have a big question in the export from arcsene to cityengine, i look everywhere and it seems that no one haves this problem.
Probably its just from my lack o knowledge of arcgis products.
I followed a tutorial (2DTO3D) in ArcScene and everything went well except the part passing all the information to cityengine.
I was just able to pass the information individually ending up not overlapping with the ground and the buildings.
I thought it was easy to export the entire contents of ArcScene for cityengine at once.
Arcgis version is 10.1
Cityengine Version is 2012

I appreciate any help in trying to resolve the question.

thank you very much
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

what do you mean by ..

I was just able to pass the information individually ending up not overlapping with the ground and the buildings.

can you post an image ?

matt
0 Kudos
sansaoclemente
New Contributor
Hi there,
I don´t know very well how to explain...
But I have in arscene a heightmap with a texture photo aligned... then I follow the 2dto3d tool to place and burn some polygons on the heightmap and did the same with the streets centerlines... So far so good... Now i want to to sent all of this together to cityengine and start to modify the roads and apply some rules to the buildings polygons... But I cant manage to get this right... I cant get my arcscene content in cityengine.

Sorry if I sound a little confusing... but its like I feel right now.

Tank you for your attention.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I guess this here ist the best source of information for your problem:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/city-engine/01w90000000r000000.htm#s=0&n=30&d=1&md=cte-re...

download the 6 workflow tutorial parts ( one part contains all the data ) and study this well. this will help you.

ok ?

matt
0 Kudos
sansaoclemente
New Contributor
Hi,
I have those tutorials... and the only problem that I have is how to export from arcscene to cityengine. I don't see any explanation how to do it or if is possible.
But I'm gonna try to follow the tutorials once more and see if something as missed.
My problem is that in arcscene i have a heightmap with road lines and polygons burn on it and i don't wont to lose that because my terrain is very irregular and full of slopes and I menage to put everything nicely fetid to to the heightmap.
Now I just need to sent all of this to cityengine and build the rest of my city.

Tank you for your attention,
best regards
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
well, for the data, just pack the stuff in a GDB and import it in CityEngine.

the terrain itself, copy it over as a raster file to CityEngine and import it there..

not sure if this is clear or not clear .. did you look through the documentation ( Help > Manual ) inside CityEngine concerning shape / graph segment import ?

matt
0 Kudos
sansaoclemente
New Contributor
Hi there,

Tank you for your attention once again.
I have everything packed in gdb as you suggested and I'm gonna try this weekend to see if this time everything goes into place.
I did see the help and the tutorials, and I think that I'm almost there if the terrain enters in the right place i'm good to go :).

I' let you know my results as soon as I make the test.

Tank you very much once again.
0 Kudos
sansaoclemente
New Contributor
Hello again,
I'm still with no luck with the export from arcscene to cityengine...
One of my best achievement was the one i attached in the message... the arcscene scene is very good for my purpose everything fits well... but then i go to cityengine everything goes wrong... i don't understand the reason... all the source data was not referenced so in arcscene I used the projection tool and give the same projection to all my data (only 3 files in this case) and even so they dont manage to go to the same place. And the texture doesn't match perfectly the heightmap like in arcscene.
I think that a tutorial on how to export a scene created in arcscene (with all the maps and features cad for instance) to cityengine was a very good thing to add at the tutorial section. All the tutorials that I have seen the files are already there not showing how they get there. I thought that this must be something easy but i'm not getting there.

I attached 2 images one from arcscene and the the other from cityengine with the result of the arcscene "import"
what I wont is to be able to get the same result in cityengine as the one seen in arcscene, but I don't know if it's possible.
what do you think about this? is it possible to be done?

Tank you for you attention.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

1] yes, this should all be possible
2] the satellite picture needs exactly the same extent as the elevation map
3] can you share the files with me so I can try myself ? Send me a PM if the data is confidential.

Please read also these threads as additional material :

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62028-Importing-Terrain
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/54072-textures-raster-files-concepts-in-CityEngine-ArcGIS
( http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/76669-Shapes-VS.-Models-VS.-MultiPatch )

let me know ..

matt
0 Kudos