How can I create street light poles model in CityEngine (I have locations of light poles as a point vector shp)

Jump to solution
03-31-2016 01:38 PM
SanghyunChang
New Contributor II

Hello,

I would like to use CGA rule to create pedestrian and signal lights in 3D. I already have their locational data in point form...however I am new to cityengine and I barely understand the concept of CGA... please help me to create the light poles in 3D model! Thanks! (if possible, the bulb of the light pole must be orthogonal to the road/street network)

oh and I was hoping for the complete street cga contained light pole model...but it seems like it doesnt... or maybe im just unable to find it...

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

This should help you get started:

Lot -->
  #s(0,0,0) 
  center(xyz) 
  alignScopeToAxes(y)
  i("assets/3D_City_Design_Assets/Street_Construction/lamps/lamp.02.parallel.lod0.obj")
  #s('1,'1,'1)
  #r(0,40,0)
  center(xz)

Mind the asset path!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

This should help you get started:

Lot -->
  #s(0,0,0) 
  center(xyz) 
  alignScopeToAxes(y)
  i("assets/3D_City_Design_Assets/Street_Construction/lamps/lamp.02.parallel.lod0.obj")
  #s('1,'1,'1)
  #r(0,40,0)
  center(xz)

Mind the asset path!

CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have your street light as a pre-modeled asset, then you can easily just insert the asset using i() as Z R suggested above.

i Operation

Otherwise, you could create the street light from stratch in CGA using extrude, resize s(), rotate r(), and translate t() operations.  Tutorial 6 introduces the basics of CGA:

Tutorial 6: Basic shape grammar—CityEngine Tutorials | ArcGIS for Desktop

Maybe the reference pages for CGA are also helpful (especially the operations in the "Transformations" section):

Help -

SanghyunChang
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot!! very appreciate it! I can make the street light like this:

another issue: I would like to make the street light's bulb to be perpendicular to its adjacent street network like this:

I can do it by adjusting r & t manually, but I got over thousands of street lights to do...so I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the street light's bulb to be perpendicular to its adjacent street network using CGA rule.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, aligning the light should be possible.  This can be done by setting the scope before making the object.  This could be done using the uv split on sidewalk shapes.  The v direction will always be perpendicular to the street direction (and the u direction always follows the street).

split Operation

Street and Intersection Shape UVs

0 Kudos