How can I convert my CEJ file version from the new 2016 to the old 2015.1 verison?

09-08-2016 07:58 AM
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

I have the LumenRT GeoDesign plugin for CityEngine, but it does not seem to work in CE 2016.  I am happy with CE 2016, but I need to open a scene with 2015.1 long enough to use the plugin....However, when I try to load my .cej file from 2015.1....it just shows a blank viewport with no layers and gives me an error of having the wrong version of a cej file.  How can i revert back to the old version?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
deleted-user-OlpHy1NoMNug
Occasional Contributor II

Micah, 

I'm in the same boat.  Have you tried the lumenrt script?  It'll give you an export but it won't let you control any of the variables.

As an aside, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on lumenrt moving forward.  I've found it to be quite robust and will produce some really nice images/videos but it can be buggy and difficult to use at times.  I've also been pretty underwhelmed with the whole process of the Bentley acquisition.

Scott 

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

I cannot seem to get the script to work.  I really needed to export the scene this morning so I can render a video by the end of the day for a website.  I am just going to have to use the old video with a disclaimer until I can either open my scenes in CE2015 or LumenRT makes the export plugin work for CE2016.  I can rebuild my scene in 2015, but I dont want to do that because it will take too long.

I agree...I have made some really cool videos with LumenRT, but I have learned to save often.  It crashes or freezes a lot (especially when generating lights).  A strong computer and decreasing the quality during editing seems to work fine for me, but I wish they would make the editing mode work better and faster (maybe a textureless wireframe view, bookmarks, zoom to, a better animation path editor that works faster, faster video render, etc..).  One of the most annoying things I have found is that if I select an object to bring in the scene...sometimes it just freezes that object and I cant place it and select another. haha

Maybe Bentley will improve it over time.

ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Micah and Scott,

CEJ files from the CityEngine 2016 are not backwards compatible to 2015.2 and earlier.

According to our contact at eon-software, CityEngine 2016 is supported with LumenRT 2016 (Connect Update 1) which is due out in a matter of days. The plugin will also work with LumenRT 2015.

deleted-user-OlpHy1NoMNug
Occasional Contributor II

Micah- Have you been able to download the new LumenRT?  Do you have a maintenance license with Bentley?

Thomas- CityEngine is much more robustly supported and has more frequent updates than LumenRT and so it seems that for the ongoing future we'll continually be dealing with compatibility issues (for example does LumenRT 2016 work with CityEngine 2016.1), do you have any thoughts or comments on this?

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Scott- The problem was created by the incompatibility between CEJs (scene file) from 2015.2 to 2016.x . The introduction was a necessary step, that could not be avoided.

Normally, users can go back to a version of CittyEngine that is working with LumenRT.

0 Kudos
timrobinson
New Contributor III

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for confirming.

Can I suggest that this is an important issue that needs signalling in every Release Notes summary for future upgrades?

This is a mission-critical piece of knowledge for working offices, but it's not even mentioned in the 2016.1 notes (http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/cityengine/latest/get-started/cityengine-release-notes.htm#ESRI_SECTION...).

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor

Tim - The new CEJ version is mentioned in CityEngine 2016.0 release notes—Esri CityEngine | ArcGIS for Desktop .

But you are right, that the implications for 3rd party users (like this case shows) where not made obvious.

0 Kudos
ThomasFuchs
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is this also the case for CityEngine 2018.1 and CityEngine 2016?

0 Kudos