Funky bug in road rules?

08-26-2013 12:35 PM
JonathonLentine
New Contributor
Alright, I'm working on the road shapes for a scene and I'm running into a strange issue.  Some segments of road are perfectly fine, other segments have this double split going on at the edge of the road shape.  It's as if it was splitting the shape for bike lanes or parking when those settings are off. 

I've looked at the settings and they're identical, same goes for the object attributes, but one gets them and the other doesn't.  I've changed just about every parameter there is and nothing makes it go away or show up.

I'm using the new road rules that came with the Redlands example in my own scene and haven't changed anything in the rules.

Attached is what this looks like.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Weird ..

First input .. ( may sound stupid, sorry. 😉 )
Did you clean the road network ? Maybe the segments are not properly joined ..

?

Matt
0 Kudos
JonathonLentine
New Contributor
Ran it on first import.  I'll poke around the Redlands example again, I'm pretty sure I saw it there in a few instances too, otherwise it might be from copying everything over for some reason.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I'll try to include the peeps who created that example. They may be able to help you more efficient.

Matt
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
JC,

I had my hands in the street rules last, so I might know what is going on... Any chance the project file is small enough to transfer to me? Send me a private message if so with the info.

Chris
CGA Wingnut, Esri
0 Kudos
JonathonLentine
New Contributor
I think the project is way too big to send.  I looked through the Redlands example and didn't find any instance of this oddity, so all.

Though I'm almost definitely going to have to write a custom road cga from scratch to suit my needs.  I'll probably be posting a ton in a whole separate thread for that.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Excellent idea. Your own version of streets. Please keep us abreast of your developments!

Chris
0 Kudos
JonathonLentine
New Contributor
Well I've found playing with the lane width has an effect on whether this bug shows up or not and how pronounced it is.  It's as if it was using what is a hard value of 3.2 as if in CGA it was written as ~3.2 so it wouldn't always be exact depending on how wide the road is.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Not sure if this applies to what is going on in your case, but one thing that changed about that most recent street rule is that it gives priority to placement of parking and bike lanes, and then uses the remaining street width to give as many lanes as possible. If there is leftover space, it inserts that as a slim piece of concrete, rather than widening the lanes to fit (I think it inserts this between the bike lanes and the street, or maybe in the gutter - can't remember without looking back into the code). This wasn't necessarily the best solution so it might change in the next iteration. Input for street rules? This case, or other needs?

Chris
0 Kudos
JonathonLentine
New Contributor
I can definitely see that going on here. 

Probably a better way would be to adjust the width of the road by the number of lanes.  That way turning/merging lanes would be easier to do.  It might have worked for the Redlands example, but bike lanes are fairly rare.  I've tried adding parking for both sides of smaller residential roads and it narrows the actual street lanes down to one and this isn't really realistic at all.  What's usually seen is no clear lane marking between space for parking and lanes, with parallel parked cars just narrowing the space for cars to get through.  Maybe an option for turning on/off markings for parking would be a nice improvement, so you could turn on parked cars on the sides of roads without having dedicated parking spaces that are only seen in more commercial areas.

A few other small bugs I've noticed:  Direction arrows don't get placed consistently when turned on, and almost never if a road is one-way.  Also, CE considers many nodes as intersections/crossings even if it's two straight segments, and puts markings for stop lines and crosswalks and traffic lights where they wouldn't be appropriate and not where they would.
0 Kudos