Drawing up street shapes

03-20-2013 01:11 PM
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
I am attempting to create a diverging diamond interchange :[ATTACH=CONFIG]22812[/ATTACH]
I don't have the actual street center lines for this, as it's going to be built, is this something that I can model in CE, or will the line work be too fine, that the detail won't come through?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Your best option is currently to play with the system. You'll find that the only real limitation to do this street layout that CE does not yet have a real on ramp / off ramp crossing type. But with editing some of the street's tangents, you can approximate this.

Maybe put this image in CE as a Texture (Map Layer), scale it up and start blocking out the form. Show me a screenshot once you're there, ok ?

m.
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
OK!  Will do!
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
It's coming, slowly.  I'm not sure how to get the jpeg to be in the right coordnate (tried bringing it into ArcMap and that didn't really work).  So I am looking at it to approximate the change.  I haven't started the harder part yet.  [ATTACH=CONFIG]22944[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Just drag-n-drop the jpg into the viewport in CityEngine. This will create a flat terrain.

Select the layer, then scale the image up and down to the right size with the 'e' key.

Also, use the 'c' key to edit the tangents of the streets !

m.
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
Sweet!  Thanks!

OK, now how can I shift it to the right? [ATTACH=CONFIG]22958[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Move it to the right with the move tool ( 'w' key ).

Note the 'qwer' tools.

q = selection
w = move
e = scale
r = rotate

Matt
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
Thank you!
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
I did it!  [ATTACH=CONFIG]23002[/ATTACH]
The hardest part was the lanes going over the freeway (the purple and red lanes from the jpeg).  Now to finish modeling it!
0 Kudos