Select to view content in your preferred language

CityEngine,  LiDAR,  building footprints and roof modelling

07-31-2012 01:43 PM
AmitKokje2
Deactivated User
I am aware that CityEngine is not yet supporting LiDAR (LAS/ ASCII/ XYZ etc.) data directly, I managed to import a small set of     LiDAR data as File GDB into CityEngine with attributes (elevation)

I have building polygons footprints data available and imported simultaneously with LiDAR GDB. (image attached ).

With standard arcGIS procedure (spatial join) it is easy to calculate and join the Avg. building height derived from LiDAR data to     building polygons. But that will give very flat roofs for all the buildings.

Is it possible to model exact roofs façades (shape, orientation, aspect and slope) based on LiDAR information available?

Existing methods and rules  in CityEngine are  great to generate roofs at random, but what if we want to replicate existing city

using the available information?.

Is there any method to achieve this using LiDAR information available?

I am more interested in replicating roofs.

Thanks.

CityEngine usage level: Beginner
Tags (2)
37 Replies
DanielHedges
New Contributor III

Hi Micah,

Yes they are multipatch, and you are correct that there has been a limitation in publishing multipatch to ArcGIS without Portal. Fortunately, with the Pro 1.3 release happening this month, will enable you to publish your multipatch as a "scene package", which can be used directly in ArcGIS Online, with no Portal needed.

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
MeganWirth
Occasional Contributor

Hello Daniel. Do you have any instructions on publishing a scene package. Installed the new 1.3 update today and dont see anything related to scene package.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi Ryan,

You would use "create scene package layer followed by 'share package'

Cheers Gert

0 Kudos
MeganWirth
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help guys!

EmiliaGodlewska
Deactivated User

Gert,

I try to apply the tasks from your Local Government Schematic Scene solution to my project. All worked fine for sample data, but for the data I use there is a following error while trying to run Extract Roof Form tool. Would you be able to help me fix this problem?

Thank you,

Emilia

error_new.jpg

MeganWirth
Occasional Contributor

Same exact error here. Have no idea whats happening.

0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi Emilia,

This error is possibly due to incorrect values for minimum flat  or slope roof areas. Keep in mind that the default values are in square feet. If your base data is in meters, you will need to convert these values to square meters.

Otherwise if you can send me some sample data, I am happy to see what is going on.

Gert

0 Kudos
DanielHedges
New Contributor III

Hi Emilia,

It looks like Ryan Key ran into the same issue and posted below his solution. Do you have the same duplicate ObjectID field issue?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Derekharbaugh
Deactivated User

Has anyone figured this out?  Im gettimg the same error as well.

0 Kudos
MeganWirth
Occasional Contributor

In my case Derek my building footprint data had an ObjectID field and an additional field ObjectID_1 which was generating the error. I deleted the second Object ID field and it worked like a charm. Hope that helps

0 Kudos